- Book Title: The True History of the Elephant Man
- Author: Michael Howell, Peter Ford
- ISBN: 014005622X
- Publisher: Penguin (Non-Classics)
- Year Published: 1981
- Our Normal Price: £8.09 GBP ($0.00 USD)
- 10% Discounted Price: £7.28 GBP ($0.00 USD)
- Description: Penguin 1981 paperback; 220 pages ;b/w photographs. Synopsis: The story of Joseph Carey Merrick, born in Leicester in a Victorian era whose values could not tolerate the abnormalities of his features. Cast aside by his father after the death of his mother, he became the main attraction at local fairs, showing all his corrupting flesh to those who paid the entrance fee, and listening to the gasps of horror from the audience, where women fainted at his appearance. Joseph was eventually saved from this humiliation by an eminent doctor, who realised that within Joseph Merrick's body lay a most humane person who loved to read, enjoyed the theatre, had a thirst for knowledge; and asked for nothing more than to be accepted as a human being with ordinary feelings and emotions. Condition; paper tanned; very clean and good .
- Condition: Used- Good
- Dustcover: No
- Binding: Paperback
- Type: Used Books
Mary Ward Books is an independent online bookstore specialising
in second hand, out of print books and used books such as The True History of the Elephant Man by Michael Howell, Peter Ford. We offer a book search facility and
secure payments via PayPal and Nochex.
We aim to be of service, please click here to read our testimonials from past customers - and please feel free to leave your own feedback!
Mary Ward Books is based in East Anglia, United Kingdom. We were established in 1997 and have been selling books online since 2002. We ship worldwide, please click here to see our shipping charges for The True History of the Elephant Man by Michael Howell, Peter Ford.
We have many other books in our Anthropology & Sociology section for sale of which below is a selection - Please feel free to browse them or press the 'continue shopping' button below to see the entire Anthropology & Sociology category.