Total Items =
Total Price = £0.00 GBP ($0.00 USD)
Literature & Fiction / Fiction / The Custom of the Country (Twentieth Century Classics S.) by Wharton, Edith
Wednesday, March 03, 2021
- Book Title: The Custom of the Country (Twentieth Century Classics S.)
- Author: Wharton, Edith
- ISBN: 0140181903
- Publisher: Penguin Books Ltd
- Year Published: 1987
- Our Normal Price: £7.70 GBP ($0.00 USD)
- 10% Discounted Price: £6.93 GBP ($0.00 USD)
- Description: Book Description: Edith Whartons satiric anatomy of American society in the first decade of the twentieth century appeared in 1913; it both appalled and fascinated its first reviewers, and established her as a major novelist. The Saturday Review wrote that she had assembled as many detestable people as it is possible to pack between the covers of a six-hundred page novel, but concluded that the book was brilliantly written, and should be read as a parable. : : It follows the career of Undine Spragg, recently arrived in New York from the midwest and determined to conquer high society. Glamorous, selfish, mercenary and manipulative, her principal assets are her striking beauty, her tenacity, and her fathers money. With her sights set on an advantageous marriage, Undine pursues her schemes in a world of shifting values, where triumph is swiftly followed by dissullusion. : : Wharton was recreating an environment she knew intimately, and Undines education for social success is chronicled in meticulous detail. The novel superbly captures the world of post-Civil War America, as ruthless in its social ambitions as in its business and politics. --This text refers to the Paperback edition. : : Synopsis: Mrs and Mrs Spragg are hoping to forge an entree into society and arrange a suitably ambitious match for their only daughter. As she unfolds the story of Undine Spragg, from New York to Europe, the author offers a detailed glimpse of upper-class America.Comments: very clean and good
. Format: Paperback. Pages: 335.
- Condition: Used- Very Good
- Dustcover: No
- Binding: Paperback
- Type: Used Books
Mary Ward Books is an independent online bookstore specialising
in second hand, out of print books and used books such as The Custom of the Country (Twentieth Century Classics S.) by Wharton, Edith. We offer a book search facility and
secure payments via PayPal and Nochex.
We aim to be of service, please click here to read our testimonials from past customers - and please feel free to leave your own feedback!
Mary Ward Books is based in East Anglia, United Kingdom. We were established in 1997 and have been selling books online since 2002. We ship worldwide, please click here to see our shipping charges for The Custom of the Country (Twentieth Century Classics S.) by Wharton, Edith.
We have many other books in our Fiction section for sale of which below is a selection - Please feel free to browse them or press the 'continue shopping' button below to see the entire Fiction category.