- Book Title: Schliemann of Troy: Treasure and Deceit
- Author: Traill, David
- ISBN: 014025739X
- Publisher: Penguin Books Ltd
- Year Published: 1996
- Our Normal Price: £11.55 GBP ($0.00 USD)
- 10% Discounted Price: £10.40 GBP ($0.00 USD)
- Description: Penguin 1996, first edition: decorative card cover approximately 5 x 7.75 inches tall: 365 pages including index: centrefold of black and white photographic illustrations. Synopsis: By uncovering what he claimed to be Homer's Troy and Mycenae, Heinrich Schliemann (1822-90) became one of the dominant personalities of his age. Yet this biography shows him to have lived an entire life of fraud. Rumours and claims that he fabricated evidence, or bought, buried and found artefacts, are fully evaluated as the author reassesses Schliemann's life, travels and shady dealings. The book is an assessment of one of the great archaeological stories of all time and a study of a man apparently driven to shroud his own life in fantasy. A revealing biography with chapters entitled as follows: – The Current Controversy. The Making of a Self-Made Man 1822 – 67. From Grand Tour to Archaeological Survey: 1868. Divorce, Doctorate and Remarriage 1869. Trial, Trenches and Tribulations 1817. Assault on Hisarlik 1871 –2. Priam's Treasure 1873. Trial and Museum Tour: 1874 – 5. The Lions of Mycenae. 1876. The Lions of London: 1877. Ithaca, Troy and Reconciliation with Germany: 1878 – 9, Ilios, Orchomenos and German Honours: 1880 – 1. Dorpfield, Treasure and the Thermopylae: 1882 – 3. Marathon, Tiryns and the Break with Virchow 1884 – 5. Cuba, Cairo and Kythera 1886 – 7. Cleopatra's Head and the Feud with Botticher: 1888 –9. Troy, Halle and Naples: 1890. The Schliemann Legacy. Appendix 1: Mycenae and Troy: Chronology. Appendix 2: Chronology of Schliemann's Visit to the Troad in 1868. Appendix 3: Dating of Strata at Troy in 1882. Appendix 4: Schliemann's Movements 1868 – 9. Appendix 5: Plans of Excavation. Notes. Bibliography. Index. Conditions: clean, firm and good.
- Condition: See Above
- Dustcover: No
- Binding: Hardback
- Type: Used Books
Mary Ward Books is an independent online bookstore specialising
in second hand, out of print books and used books such as Schliemann of Troy: Treasure and Deceit by Traill, David. We offer a book search facility and
secure payments via PayPal and Nochex.
We aim to be of service, please click here to read our testimonials from past customers - and please feel free to leave your own feedback!
Mary Ward Books is based in East Anglia, United Kingdom. We were established in 1997 and have been selling books online since 2002. We ship worldwide, please click here to see our shipping charges for Schliemann of Troy: Treasure and Deceit by Traill, David.
We have many other books in our Biography section for sale of which below is a selection - Please feel free to browse them or press the 'continue shopping' button below to see the entire Biography category.