- Book Title: The Oxford History of the British Empire: Volume I: The Origins of Empire: British Overseas Enterprise to the Close of t
- Author: Nicholas Canny, Alaine Low
- ISBN: 0198205627
- Publisher: Oxford University Press,
- Year Published: 12 August, 1998
- Our Normal Price: £38.50 GBP ($0.00 USD)
- 10% Discounted Price: £34.65 GBP ($0.00 USD)
- Description: Oxford University Press, 1998 first edition: black hardcover with gilt lettering and decoration to spine: dust jacket: 533 pages, including index, chronology, black and white figures, tables, and maps. Synopsis: A comprehensive study of the origins of the British Empire , comprised of authoritative contributions from 22 historians , and influenced by recent scholarship and new releases from historical records. Contents:-The Origins of Empire: an Introduction by Nicolas Canny. The Struggle for Legitimacy and the Image of Empire in the Atlantic to Circa 1700 by Anthony Padden. War, Politics, and Colonisation, 1558 -1625 by John C. Appleby. Guns And Sails in the First Phase of English Colonisation, 1500- 1650 by N. A. M. Rodger. Literature and Empire by David Armitage. ' Civilizinge of Those Rude Partes ' Colonisation within Britain and Ireland, 1580 -- 1640 by Jane Ohlmeyer. England's New World and the Old, 1480s-1630s by Nicolas Canny. Tobacco Colonies: the Shaping of English Society in the 17th-Century Chesapeake by James Horn. New England in the 17th-Century Virginia Anderson. The ' Hub of Empire ': the Caribbean and Britain in the 17th-century by Hilary Mc' D Beckles. The English in Western Africa to 1700 P Hair and Robin Law . The English in Asia to 1700 by P. J. Marshall. The English Government, War, Trade, and Settlement, 1625-1688 by Michael Braddick. New Opportunities for British Settlement: Ireland, 1650-1700 by T. C. Barnard. Native Americans and Europeans in English America, 1500-1700 by Peter C. Mansall. The Middle Colonies: New Opportunities for Settlement, 1660-1700 by Ned Landsman. ' Shaftesbury's Darling ' : British Settlement in the Carolinas at the Close of the 17th-Century by Robert M. Weir. Overseas Expansion and Trade in the 17th-century by Nuala Zahedieh. The Emerging Empire: the Continental Perspective, 1650-1713 by Jonathan Israel. The Glorious Revolution and America by Richard S. Dunn. Navy, State, Trade, and Empire by G E Aylmer. Condition: very clean and good/as new
- Condition: Collectable- Like New
- Dustcover: Yes
- Binding: Hardback
- Type: Used Books
Mary Ward Books is an independent online bookstore specialising
in second hand, out of print books and used books such as The Oxford History of the British Empire: Volume I: The Origins of Empire: British Overseas Enterprise to the Close of t by Nicholas Canny, Alaine Low. We offer a book search facility and
secure payments via PayPal and Nochex.
We aim to be of service, please click here to read our testimonials from past customers - and please feel free to leave your own feedback!
Mary Ward Books is based in East Anglia, United Kingdom. We were established in 1997 and have been selling books online since 2002. We ship worldwide, please click here to see our shipping charges for The Oxford History of the British Empire: Volume I: The Origins of Empire: British Overseas Enterprise to the Close of t by Nicholas Canny, Alaine Low.
We have many other books in our History -European & World . section for sale of which below is a selection - Please feel free to browse them or press the 'continue shopping' button below to see the entire History -European & World . category.
If you can't find the book you're looking for - there is still a good chance we have it in our off-line collection. Please fill in our off-line book request form here and we'll search our collection for you.