- Book Title: The Commonwealth of Lincoln College 1427 -- 1977
- Author: Vivienne H H Green
- ISBN: 0199201064
- Publisher: Oxford University Press
- Year Published: 1979
- Our Normal Price: £47.30 GBP ($60.54 USD)
- 22% Discounted Price: £36.89 GBP ($47.22 USD)
- Description: Oxford University Press 1979: first edition royal blue cloth hardcover with gilt lettering to spine in dust jacket: approximately 5.6 by 9 inches tall: 746 pages including index: black and white photographic illustrations. Synopsis: A full-length study of Lincoln College, Oxford covering origins and early growth, the colleges involvement in crises and problems over five centuries, the declines of scholasticism, the impact of the Protestant Reformation, the effects of the Civil War and the Methodist movement, and the University reform and revival of the 19th and 20th centuries. Contents: Chapters entitled: -- The foundation. The character and growth of the early college. Pre-Reformation Lincoln. Growing wealth and coming crisis. Life and society in Pre-Reformation Lincoln. Affluence and strife --1) Progress and Prosperity.2) Internal Strife. Life in Tudor and Stuart Lincoln. The social structure. Civil War and Commonwealth. Restoration Lincoln. The character of early 18th-century Lincoln. John Wesley at Lincoln. L'Ancien Regime. Life in the 18th and early 19th centuries. Reaction and reform. The Rectorship of Mark Patterson. Modern times. A century of social change: --1) Life and society in the late 19th century.2) The Senior Common Room. 3) the Junior Common Room between the Wars 1919 -- 39. 4) After the Second World War. Appendices: --1) The Rectors, Fellows and Honorary Fellows.2) Admission by College status.3) Geographical Distribution of entries.4) Social Origins of Undergraduates Admitted: a. Social background of Lincoln undergraduates 1800 -- 1975. b. Admission by schools in 1900 -- 74. 5) Lincoln College in the 18th-century -- careers and degrees.6) College Estates. 7) All Saints Library. 8) Lord Crewe's Trust. 9) Mark Patterson and Dr Casaubon.10) College Livings.11) The Senior Common Room Betting Book.12) The College Arms.13) William Finderne's Brass at Childrey. 14) The Gaudy Song. 15) The Lincoln Imp. 16) The Lincoln College law case of 1594. Index. Condition: very clean and good overall
- Condition: Collectable- Very Good
- Dustcover: Yes
- Binding: Hardback
- Type: Used Books
Please note books ordered after 3pm on the 11th Feb 2017 (GMT) will be dispatched on the 22nd Feb 2017
Mary Ward Books is an independent online bookstore specialising
in second hand, out of print books and used books such as The Commonwealth of Lincoln College 1427 -- 1977 by Vivienne H H Green. We offer a book search facility and
secure payments via PayPal and Nochex.
We aim to be of service, please click here to read our testimonials from past customers - and please feel free to leave your own feedback!
Mary Ward Books is based in East Anglia, United Kingdom. We were established in 1997 and have been selling books online since 2002. We ship worldwide, please click here to see our shipping charges for The Commonwealth of Lincoln College 1427 -- 1977 by Vivienne H H Green.
We have many other books in our History- Social & Commercial. section for sale of which below is a selection - Please feel free to browse them or press the 'continue shopping' button below to see the entire History- Social & Commercial. category.
If you can't find the book you're looking for - there is still a good chance we have it in our off-line collection. Please fill in our off-line book request form here and we'll search our collection for you.