Total Items =
Total Price = £0.00 GBP ($0.00 USD)
History / History- Social & Commercial. / Life in the English Country House: A Social and Architectural History by Girouard, Mark
Wednesday, January 27, 2021
- Book Title: Life in the English Country House: A Social and Architectural History
- Author: Girouard, Mark
- ISBN: 0300022735
- Publisher: Yale University Press
- Year Published: August 28, 1980
- Our Normal Price: £27.50 GBP ($0.00 USD)
- 10% Discounted Price: £24.75 GBP ($0.00 USD)
- Description: Yale University Press, 1978: hardcover in dust jacket: approximately 8 x 10.5 inches tall: 344 pages including index: black and white photographic illustrations and plans through out. Synopsis: In a volume based on his lectures given at Oxford University 1975 -- 1976, Mark Girouard traces the evolution of the English Country House from the Middle Ages to the 1920s. Using material from novels and plays, virtually untouched records, and family archives he presents a picture of the life of the upper English classes over 500 years; describing how they ran their estates; how some of them ran the Country; how they entertained; their tenants and servants; and how they arranged their lives to accommodate a preference for personal privacy and public display. The book includes 250 plates, 33 of which are in colour; and combines scholarship with anecdote as the author examines the architectural and social implications of life in the English Country House. Contents:-- The Power Houses. The Mediaeval Household. The Mediaeval House. The Elizabethan and Jacobean House. The Formal House: 1630 -- 1720. First Interlude : Virtuosos and Dilettanti. The Social House: 1720 -1770 . The arrival of informality: 1770 --1830. Second Interlude : Early Country House technology. The moral house: 1830 -- 1900. The Indian summer: 1900 -- 1940. Notes to the text. List of illustrations. Index. Condition: dustjacket edges slightly rubbed and with small repair to lower front: price corner removed: red cloth hardcover clean and good but with corners and spine ends slightly bumped : ownership inscription : contents clean and good: comprehensively illustrated.
- Condition: Used- Very Good
- Dustcover: Yes
- Binding: Paperback
- Type: Used Books
Mary Ward Books is an independent online bookstore specialising
in second hand, out of print books and used books such as Life in the English Country House: A Social and Architectural History by Girouard, Mark. We offer a book search facility and
secure payments via PayPal and Nochex.
We aim to be of service, please click here to read our testimonials from past customers - and please feel free to leave your own feedback!
Mary Ward Books is based in East Anglia, United Kingdom. We were established in 1997 and have been selling books online since 2002. We ship worldwide, please click here to see our shipping charges for Life in the English Country House: A Social and Architectural History by Girouard, Mark.
We have many other books in our History- Social & Commercial. section for sale of which below is a selection - Please feel free to browse them or press the 'continue shopping' button below to see the entire History- Social & Commercial. category.