Total Items =
Total Price = £0.00 GBP ($0.00 USD)
Literature & Fiction / Fiction / Holy Fools by Harris, Joanne
Friday, February 26, 2021
- Book Title: Holy Fools
- Author: Harris, Joanne
- ISBN: 0385603649
- Publisher: Doubleday
- Year Published: May 1, 2003
- Our Normal Price: £5.78 GBP ($0.00 USD)
- 10% Discounted Price: £5.20 GBP ($0.00 USD)
- Description: Amazon.co.uk Review: Holy Fools is Joanne Harriss most enjoyable novel yet, a beautifully detailed and sharply observed piece that emotionally moves the reader unlike anything she has tackled before. The immense success of Chocolat and Coastliners has made Harris one of the most cherished authors at work today, and each new book is something of an event.: : Holy Fools is set in 17th century France, and the central character is Juliette, a former actress and rope dancer who has given up her travelling life to become a teaching nun at a remote abbey. Juliette has settled with her young daughter into an existence very different from that she knew, and she finds comfort from the advice of the wise and friendly abbess. : : Harris brilliantly delineates both phases of her heroines life: the colourful earlier era and the new demands of the semi-cloistered life. Things change radically when the abbess dies and her place is taken by an 11-year-old girl whose appetite for reform quickly destroys much that Juliet has come to love in her new life. What makes the book so refreshingly original is not just the unusual structure (the heroines dual life alone is handled with radiant detail), but the surprising new trajectory the narrative takes after the death of the abbess, as everything Juliette was used to begins to go wrong. : : We become involved in every minor crisis, however much we question that the religious life is the answer to her problems. Juliette is a brilliantly drawn character, and the plotting of this ambitious novel is both thoughtful and invigorating, while the basic theme--the ploys we all use to distract ourselves from the painful realities of existence--is handled with subtlety. --Barry Forshaw : : Amanda Craig, New Statesman (novel of the week): Hugely enjoyable...Both consoling and wise Comments: pristine -as new- immediate dispatch
. Format: Hardcover. Pages: 430.
- Condition: Used- Very Good
- Dustcover: Yes
- Binding: Hardback
- Type: Used Books
Mary Ward Books is an independent online bookstore specialising
in second hand, out of print books and used books such as Holy Fools by Harris, Joanne. We offer a book search facility and
secure payments via PayPal and Nochex.
We aim to be of service, please click here to read our testimonials from past customers - and please feel free to leave your own feedback!
Mary Ward Books is based in East Anglia, United Kingdom. We were established in 1997 and have been selling books online since 2002. We ship worldwide, please click here to see our shipping charges for Holy Fools by Harris, Joanne.
We have many other books in our Fiction section for sale of which below is a selection - Please feel free to browse them or press the 'continue shopping' button below to see the entire Fiction category.