- Book Title: A System of Logic Ratiocinative and Inductive in 2 vols
- Author: John Stuart Mill
- ISBN: 0582485304
- Publisher: Longmans
- Year Published: 1875
- Our Normal Price: £77.00 GBP ($108.57 USD)
- 10% Discounted Price: £69.30 GBP ($97.71 USD)
- Description: A System of Logic, Ratiocinative and Inductive Being a Connected View of the Principles of Evidence and the Methods of Scientific Investigation. Longmans Green Reader and Dyer 1875: two green cloth hardcoverd volumes: each approximately 5.75 x 1.75 x 9 inches tall: paper title labels to upper spines: no dust jackets: volume 1, 563 pages. Volume 2, 557 pages. Contents: Volume 1. Introduction: Book 1: Of the Names and Propositions (chapters entitled as follows: -- Of the necessity of commencing with an analysis of language. Of names. Of the things denoted by names. Of propositions. Of the import of propositions. Propositions merely verbal. Of the nature of classification, and the five predictables. Definition.) Book 2: Of Reasoning (chapters entitled as follows: -- Of Inference or reasoning in general. Of ratiocination or syllogism. Of the functions, and logical value of the syllogism. Of trains of reasoning, and deductive sciences. Of demonstration, and necessary truths. Examination of some opinions opposed to the preceding doctrines.) Book 3: Of Induction (chapters entitled as follows: -- Preliminary observations on induction in general. On the ground of induction. Of laws of nature. Of the law of universal causation. Of the composition of causes. Of observation and experiment. Of the four methods of experimental enquiry. Miscellaneous examples of the four methods. Of plurality of causes; and of the intermixture of effects. Of the deductiv method. Of the explanation of laws of nature. Miscellaneous examples of the explanation of laws of nature.) Contents: Volume 2. Book 3: Of Induction..continued. (Chapters entitled as follows: -- Of the limits to the explanation of laws of nature, and of hypotheses. Of progressive effects; and of the continued action of causes. Of empirical laws. Of chance, and its elimination. Of the calculation of chances. Of the extension of derivative laws to adjacent cases. Of analogy. Of the evidence of the law of universal causation. Of uniformities of coexistence not dependent on causation. Of approximate generalisations and probable evidence. Of the remaining laws of nature. Of the grounds of disbelief. ) Book 4: Of Operations Subsidiary to Induction (chapters entitled as follows: -- Of observation and description. Of abstraction or the formation of conceptions. Of naming, as subsidiary to induction. Of the requisites of a philosophical language, and the principles of definition.) Condition: title label of volume re placed: corners and spine ends and both volumes slightly bumped small repair to edge of upper spine/back cover: end-paper hinges re-enforced: some neat pencilled annotation:foxing to preliminary pages: ownership inscription : Overall clean and good . PLEASE NOTE HEAVY VOLUMES- WILL CUSTOMERS PLEASE E-MAIL FOR SHIPPING COSTS.
- Condition: Collectable- Good
- Dustcover: No
- Binding: Hardback
- Type: Used Books
Mary Ward Books is an independent online bookstore specialising
in second hand, out of print books and used books such as A System of Logic Ratiocinative and Inductive in 2 vols by John Stuart Mill. We offer a book search facility and
secure payments via PayPal and Nochex.
We aim to be of service, please click here to read our testimonials from past customers - and please feel free to leave your own feedback!
Mary Ward Books is based in East Anglia, United Kingdom. We were established in 1997 and have been selling books online since 2002. We ship worldwide, please click here to see our shipping charges for A System of Logic Ratiocinative and Inductive in 2 vols by John Stuart Mill.
We have many other books in our Philosophy & Psychology section for sale of which below is a selection - Please feel free to browse them or press the 'continue shopping' button below to see the entire Philosophy & Psychology category.
If you can't find the book you're looking for - there is still a good chance we have it in our off-line collection. Please fill in our off-line book request form here and we'll search our collection for you.