- Book Title: Montaillou. Cathars and Catholics in a French village 1294 – 1324
- Author: Emmanuel Le Roy Ladurie
- ISBN: 0859674037
- Publisher: Scolar
- Year Published: 1978
- Our Normal Price: £21.45 GBP ($0.00 USD)
- 10% Discounted Price: £19.31 GBP ($0.00 USD)
- Description: Scolar Press, 1978. Green cloth hardcover: dust jacket: approximately 6.25 x 9.5" tall: 383 pages, including index: black and white maps Synopsis: A social, economic and religious history of a French mediaeval village recorded between 1318 and 1325 by Jacques Fournier, Bishop of Pamiers, ( later Pope Benedict the 12th.) as part of his attempt to eliminate the Cathar Albigensian heresy of the region. His meticulously recorded inquisition reveals a multitude of village detail – documented in the volume's contents under the following headings :– Part One : The ecology of Montaillou: the house and the Shepherd. (Environment and authority. The domus . A dominant house – the Clergue family. The shepherds. The great migrations. The life of the shepherds in the Pyrenees. The Shepherd's mental outlook.) Part Two: An Archaeology of Montaillou : from body language to myth. (Body language and sex. The libido of the Clergues . Temporary unions. Marriage and love. Marriage and the condition of women. Childhood and other ages in life. Death in Montaillou. Cultural exchanges. Social relationships. Concepts of time and space. fate, magic, and salvation. Religion in practice. Morality, wealth and labour. Magic and the other world.) Selective bibliography. Index of the main families of Montaillou. Condition: dust jacket edges rubbed and with small repairs: front free endpaper removed: hardcover and contents very clean: overall clean, firm and good.
- Condition: See Above
- Dustcover: Yes
- Binding: Hardback
- Type: Used Books
Mary Ward Books is an independent online bookstore specialising
in second hand, out of print books and used books such as Montaillou. Cathars and Catholics in a French village 1294 – 1324 by Emmanuel Le Roy Ladurie. We offer a book search facility and
secure payments via PayPal and Nochex.
We aim to be of service, please click here to read our testimonials from past customers - and please feel free to leave your own feedback!
Mary Ward Books is based in East Anglia, United Kingdom. We were established in 1997 and have been selling books online since 2002. We ship worldwide, please click here to see our shipping charges for Montaillou. Cathars and Catholics in a French village 1294 – 1324 by Emmanuel Le Roy Ladurie.
We have many other books in our History- Social & Commercial. section for sale of which below is a selection - Please feel free to browse them or press the 'continue shopping' button below to see the entire History- Social & Commercial. category.