Total Items =
Total Price = £0.00 GBP ($0.00 USD)
Travel & Geography / The World - Its Countries, and Divisions / Strategy in the Southern Oceans: A South American View (Studies in Contemporary Maritime Policy and Strategy) by Gamba-Stonehouse, Virginia
Thursday, January 27, 2022
- Book Title: Strategy in the Southern Oceans: A South American View (Studies in Contemporary Maritime Policy and Strategy)
- Author: Gamba-Stonehouse, Virginia
- ISBN: 0861870174
- Publisher: Pinter Publishers
- Year Published: 1989
- Our Normal Price: £30.25 GBP ($0.00 USD)
- 10% Discounted Price: £27.23 GBP ($0.00 USD)
- Description: Pinter 1989 first edition: hard cover in dust jacket: approx 16x24 cm. tall: 155 pages . Synopsis: The oceans lying east and west of South America form an area in which extra-regional powers are present both actively and passively, with their movements and interests having international significance. The countries of South America themselves have their own interests in the area, which are neither widely known outside the area nor generally understood. The author analyses the future local, regional and international implications of two issues that have strong maritime components on the shores of this region. The first of these is the Bolivian effort to obtain an outlet to the Pacific Ocean, and the second is the long-lasting dispute over the South Atlantic islands (including the Malvinas/Falklands Islands) and their projection to Antartica, as seen by Argentina and Brazil. These two cases illustrate the changing pattern of behaviour exhibited by the South American countries in their attitudes towards the international community. The sea is a source of conflict - ancient territorial disputes continue - but also a link which fosters co-operation between countries that are historical competitors. The international tendency to evaluate South America only in terms of its problems with debt, drugs and democracy has led to an underestimation of the strategic importance of the area, while the South American countries themselves perhaps overvalue what may be one of their few bargaining chips. It is hoped that this book will contribute to international understanding.Comments: pristine- almost as new - immediate dispatch.
- Condition: See Above
- Dustcover: Yes
- Binding: Hardback
- Type: Used Books
Mary Ward Books is an independent online bookstore specialising
in second hand, out of print books and used books such as Strategy in the Southern Oceans: A South American View (Studies in Contemporary Maritime Policy and Strategy) by Gamba-Stonehouse, Virginia. We offer a book search facility and
secure payments via PayPal and Nochex.
We aim to be of service, please click here to read our testimonials from past customers - and please feel free to leave your own feedback!
Mary Ward Books is based in East Anglia, United Kingdom. We were established in 1997 and have been selling books online since 2002. We ship worldwide, please click here to see our shipping charges for Strategy in the Southern Oceans: A South American View (Studies in Contemporary Maritime Policy and Strategy) by Gamba-Stonehouse, Virginia.
We have many other books in our The World - Its Countries, and Divisions section for sale of which below is a selection - Please feel free to browse them or press the 'continue shopping' button below to see the entire The World - Its Countries, and Divisions category.