- Book Title: The Last Time They Met
- Author: Shreve, Anita
- ISBN: 349113602
- Publisher: Abacus
- Year Published: December 3, 2001
- Our Normal Price: £4.62 GBP ($6.24 USD)
- 22% Discounted Price: £3.60 GBP ($4.86 USD)
- Description: Amazon.co.uk Review: Anita Shreve, who has long since cornered the market with her finely written romantic thrillers, has proved herself a true mistress of the genre with her latest novel, The Last Time They Met. Since her 1994 debut with novels such as Eden Close and Where or When, Ms Shreve has come a long way, skilfully blending both historical and more up-to-date story-lines into her novels alongside recurrent themes that transcend time and place: love, loss and death. Long-time Shreve fans and newcomers alike will find The Last Time They Met a gripping read but it is also rather unusual as it features, as one of its two main protagonists, a minor character from a previous novel, The Weight of Water, and attempts to explain how and why he becomes the man he is. This is rather fascinating and if youve read the original novel in which Thomas, the alcoholic poet, features, youll recognise him and feel immediately drawn to him. And if you havent, by the end of this book, youll want to read more. : : The Last Time They Met is based on a tale of childhood sweethearts and a theme Shreve writes about so passionately and with such conviction one cant help wonder if she spends her nights dreaming of her first love. Ambitiously, she tells her tale of Thomas and his lover (Linda) from the present backwards, travelling from a poets convention in Toronto via politically repressive Nairobi to Massachusetts and small-town 1960s schooldays. The grand passions, the loveless marriages, abuse, lost children and, most heart-wrenchingly, the utterly wasted lives unfold majestically and with intense pathos. If the greatest test of a good book is not just that you cant put it down, but that it haunts your memory for far longer than it takes to read, then this is a cracking read with an end that will leave you reeling. --Carey Green --This text refers to the Paperback edition. : : THE TIMES: A luminous combination of stylistic simplicity and emotional complexity...Comments: pristine - as new- immediate availability Abaccus paperback 2001. Format: Paperback. Pages: 368.
- Condition: New
- Dustcover: See Above
- Binding: See Above
- Type: Used Books
Please note books ordered after 3pm on the 11th Feb 2017 (GMT) will be dispatched on the 22nd Feb 2017
Mary Ward Books is an independent online bookstore specialising
in second hand, out of print books and used books such as The Last Time They Met by Shreve, Anita. We offer a book search facility and
secure payments via PayPal and Nochex.
We aim to be of service, please click here to read our testimonials from past customers - and please feel free to leave your own feedback!
Mary Ward Books is based in East Anglia, United Kingdom. We were established in 1997 and have been selling books online since 2002. We ship worldwide, please click here to see our shipping charges for The Last Time They Met by Shreve, Anita.
We have many other books in our section for sale of which below is a selection - Please feel free to browse them or press the 'continue shopping' button below to see the entire category.
If you can't find the book you're looking for - there is still a good chance we have it in our off-line collection. Please fill in our off-line book request form here and we'll search our collection for you.