Total Items =
Total Price = £0.00 GBP ($0.00 USD)
Arts / Art- History / Conversation Pieces A Survey of the informal group portrait in Europe and America by Mario Praz
Thursday, September 29, 2022
- Book Title: Conversation Pieces A Survey of the informal group portrait in Europe and America
- Author: Mario Praz
- ISBN: 416079601
- Publisher: Methuen
- Year Published: 1971
- Our Normal Price: £44.00 GBP ($0.00 USD)
- 10% Discounted Price: £39.60 GBP ($0.00 USD)
- Description: Methuen & Co 1971: first edition hardcover in dust jacket: approximately 10 by in 11.5 inches tall: 287 pages: 31 plates in full colour; 349 half tone plates. Synopsis: A presentation and in-depth study of the ' Conversation Piece ', an intimate group portrait in a genre that originated in the Low Countries, found great popularity in 18th century England, and declined with the invention of photography. The author, Professor Praz, traces its history, shows its close connection with the rise of the middle classes, examines the patterns and themes adopted by the artists, surveys the differing national styles, and examines the peculiarities of the genre including portraits of families with deceased members and portraits with a bust. The illustrations includes more than 350 reproductions of paintings from European and American galleries and private collections. Contents include:- Definition of a conversation piece. The family portrait in antiquity. The group. The indoor conversation piece. The conversation round a table. The family group in an outdoor setting (in front of a porch or balustrade. In courtyard or open air. Against a screen of foliage, or with central tree. With view of country house. With view of the landscape. In a boat.) Portraits of children. The couple. Sporting and musical conversations, and painters family groups. Groups in period costume and allegorical portraits. Mourning pictures and portraits with a bust. Index . List of illustrations Condition: very clean and good overall. Please note a heavy book, please e-mail for shipping costs.
- Condition: Collectable- Very Good
- Dustcover: Yes
- Binding: Hardback
- Type: Used Books
Mary Ward Books is an independent online bookstore specialising
in second hand, out of print books and used books such as Conversation Pieces A Survey of the informal group portrait in Europe and America by Mario Praz. We offer a book search facility and
secure payments via PayPal and Nochex.
We aim to be of service, please click here to read our testimonials from past customers - and please feel free to leave your own feedback!
Mary Ward Books is based in East Anglia, United Kingdom. We were established in 1997 and have been selling books online since 2002. We ship worldwide, please click here to see our shipping charges for Conversation Pieces A Survey of the informal group portrait in Europe and America by Mario Praz.
We have many other books in our Art- History section for sale of which below is a selection - Please feel free to browse them or press the 'continue shopping' button below to see the entire Art- History category.