- Book Title: A gentleman volunteer. The letters of George Hennell from the peninsular War 1812 -- 13
- Author: Michael Glover editor
- ISBN: 434295612
- Publisher: William Heinemann
- Year Published: 1979
- Our Normal Price: £27.50 GBP ($0.00 USD)
- 10% Discounted Price: £24.75 GBP ($0.00 USD)
- Description: William Heinemann, 1979 : first edition: red cloth hardcover in decorative dust jacket approximately 6 x 9.5 inches tall: 181 pages including index: black and white maps and illustrations. Synopsis: 26 letters written by George Hennell, (born 1785, ) who joined Wellington's army during the Peninsular War as a volunteer, was commissioned in the field in the 43rd Light Infantry, and served through the campaigns of 1812 - 13. The letters span the period from when Hennell joined the British Army, as a raw recruit two days before the bloody storming Badajoz, to his descent of the Pyrenees as a member of the victorious army who marched into France shortly before the fall of Napoleon. He describes the cities and country side he passed through, the food, dress , demeanour and customs of the people, including a bullfight given in honour of Lord Wellington; camp routines: the every day events of an army on the march; the events of the campaign ; and the skirmishes and battles. The letters are edited by Michael Glover, and the volume includes black and white illustrations, and original sketches by George Hennell. Condition: very clean and good overall
- Condition: Collectable- Very Good
- Dustcover: Yes
- Binding: Hardback
- Type: Used Books
Mary Ward Books is an independent online bookstore specialising
in second hand, out of print books and used books such as A gentleman volunteer. The letters of George Hennell from the peninsular War 1812 -- 13 by Michael Glover editor. We offer a book search facility and
secure payments via PayPal and Nochex.
We aim to be of service, please click here to read our testimonials from past customers - and please feel free to leave your own feedback!
Mary Ward Books is based in East Anglia, United Kingdom. We were established in 1997 and have been selling books online since 2002. We ship worldwide, please click here to see our shipping charges for A gentleman volunteer. The letters of George Hennell from the peninsular War 1812 -- 13 by Michael Glover editor.
We have many other books in our History & Prediction -Military section for sale of which below is a selection - Please feel free to browse them or press the 'continue shopping' button below to see the entire History & Prediction -Military category.