- Book Title: Death in Holy Orders
- Author: James, P.D.
- ISBN: 571209696
- Publisher: Faber and Faber Ltd
- Year Published: October 8, 2001
- Our Normal Price: £8.09 GBP ($10.43 USD)
- 22% Discounted Price: £6.31 GBP ($8.14 USD)
- Description: Amazon.co.uk Review: Despite challenges from Ruth Rendell and (more recently) Minette Walters, PD James position as Britains Queen of Crime remains largely unassailed. Although a certain reaction has set in to her reputation (and there are those who claim her poetry-loving copper Dalgleish doesnt correspond to any of his counterparts in the real world), her detractors can scarcely deny her astonishing literary gifts. More than any other writer, she has elevated the detective story into the realms of literature, with the psychology of the characters treated in the most complex and authoritative fashion. Her plots, too, are full of intriguing detail and studded with brilliantly observed character studies. Who cares if Dalgleish belongs more in the pages of a book than poking around a graffiti-scrawled council estate? As a policeman, he is considerably more plausible than Doyles Holmes, and thats never stopped us loving the Baker Street sleuth. Death in Holy Orders represents something of a challenge from James to her critics, taking on all the contentious elements and rigorously re-invigorating them. She had admitted that she was finding it increasingly difficult to find new plots for Dalgleish, and the locale here (a theological college on a lonely stretch of the East Anglian coast) turns out to be an inspired choice: were presented with the enclosed setting so beloved of golden age detective writers, and James is able to incorporate her theological interests seamlessly into the plot--but never in any doctrinaire way; the non-believer is never uncomfortable. The body of a student at the college is found on the shore, suffocated by a fall of sand. Dalgleish is called upon to re-examine the verdict of accidental death (which the students father would not accept). Having visited the College of St Anselm in his boyhood, he finds the investigation has a strong nostalgic aspect for him. But that is soon overtaken by the realisation that he has encountered the most horrific case of his career, and another visitor to the College dies a horrible death. As an exploration of evil--and as a piece of highly distinctive crime writing--this is James at her non-pareil best. Dalgleish, too, is rendered with new dimensions of psychological complexity.: : --Barry Forshaw --This text refers to the Hardcover edition. : : Synopsis: Death in Holy Orders is set in an Anglican theological college on a desolate stretch of the East Anglian coast. When the body of one of the students is found on the shore, smothered by a fall of sand, his wealthy and influential father demands that Scotland Yard should re-examine the verdict of accidental death. Dalgliesh stayed at St Anselms as a boy and, as he is due for a holiday, agrees to pay a visit. As the weekend brings another murder, Dalgliesh soon finds himself embroiled in one of the most horrific and puzzling cases of his career...Death in Holy Orders is vintage P.D. James with sensitive evocation of place, a complex and credible mystery, respect for forensic detail and the tension of a plot that never flags.Comments: pristine - as new- immediate availability- Faber & Faber paperback 2001.-387 pages. Format: Paperback. Pages: 352.
- Condition: New
- Dustcover: See Above
- Binding: See Above
- Type: Used Books
Please note books ordered after 3pm on the 11th Feb 2017 (GMT) will be dispatched on the 22nd Feb 2017
Mary Ward Books is an independent online bookstore specialising
in second hand, out of print books and used books such as Death in Holy Orders by James, P.D.. We offer a book search facility and
secure payments via PayPal and Nochex.
We aim to be of service, please click here to read our testimonials from past customers - and please feel free to leave your own feedback!
Mary Ward Books is based in East Anglia, United Kingdom. We were established in 1997 and have been selling books online since 2002. We ship worldwide, please click here to see our shipping charges for Death in Holy Orders by James, P.D..
We have many other books in our section for sale of which below is a selection - Please feel free to browse them or press the 'continue shopping' button below to see the entire category.
If you can't find the book you're looking for - there is still a good chance we have it in our off-line collection. Please fill in our off-line book request form here and we'll search our collection for you.