- Book Title: British Generalship in the Twentieth Century
- Author: Major General E K G Sixsmith
- ISBN: 853680396
- Publisher: Arms and Armour Press
- Year Published: 1970
- Our Normal Price: £24.20 GBP ($30.98 USD)
- 22% Discounted Price: £18.88 GBP ($24.16 USD)
- Description: Arms and Armour Press, 1970: first edition dark blue cloth hardcover with gilt lettering to spine: dust jacket: approximately 5.75 x 8.75 inches tall: 312 pages including index: black and white photographic illustrations and maps: maps to endpapers. Synopsis: An examination of the military thinking and tactical ability of notable British Commanders between 1899 and 1945 written by an author with personal knowledge of many of the leaders described. The volume includes an examination of the influences of the Boer War; a comparison of the outlook of Douglas Haig and Ian Hamilton; the views of both soldiers and statesmen on the deadlocked Western Front during the Great War ; an account of Montgomery's methods as an instructor between the wars; and the effect of the Great War on the commanders of the Second World War -- Alanbrooke, Weibull, Alexander, Montgomery, and Slim. Strategic relationships between Churchill , his chiefs of staff, and the commanders in the field are compared with those between Lloyd George, Robertson, and Haig; and the author analyses the differing outlooks of the United States and Britain towards war strategy, and of Eisenhower and Montgomery on the invasion of Europe during the Second World War.1 The contents are presented in chapters entitled: --1) The South African War. 2) Army Reorganisation and the Creation of the Expeditionary Force. 3) 1914: The Encounter Battles. 4) The Search for a Way Round. 5) The Western front: Neuve Chappelle To Passchendaele. 6) Cambrai. 7) 1918. 8) Haig and Hamilton. 9) Between the Wars, 10) The Strategy of the Second World War. 11) Tactical Aspects of the War in the Desert. 12). Tactical Aspects of the War in Europe. 13) The War against Japan . 13 black and white full-page maps and 12 black and white photographic illustrations support the text. Condition: Small repair upper back dust jacket: very clean and good overall.
- Condition: Collectable- Very Good
- Dustcover: Yes
- Binding: Hardback
- Type: Used Books
Please note books ordered after 3pm on the 11th Feb 2017 (GMT) will be dispatched on the 22nd Feb 2017
Mary Ward Books is an independent online bookstore specialising
in second hand, out of print books and used books such as British Generalship in the Twentieth Century by Major General E K G Sixsmith. We offer a book search facility and
secure payments via PayPal and Nochex.
We aim to be of service, please click here to read our testimonials from past customers - and please feel free to leave your own feedback!
Mary Ward Books is based in East Anglia, United Kingdom. We were established in 1997 and have been selling books online since 2002. We ship worldwide, please click here to see our shipping charges for British Generalship in the Twentieth Century by Major General E K G Sixsmith.
We have many other books in our History & Prediction -Military section for sale of which below is a selection - Please feel free to browse them or press the 'continue shopping' button below to see the entire History & Prediction -Military category.
If you can't find the book you're looking for - there is still a good chance we have it in our off-line collection. Please fill in our off-line book request form here and we'll search our collection for you.