- Book Title: The Mirror of Art: Critical studies
- Author: Charles Baudelaire
- ISBN: B0000CJ8EL
- Publisher: Phaidon Press
- Year Published: 1955
- Our Normal Price: £20.90 GBP ($0.00 USD)
- 10% Discounted Price: £18.81 GBP ($0.00 USD)
- Description: Phaidon Press 1955, brown cloth hardcover with gilt lettering to spine: no dust jacket: approximately 4.5 x 7.5 tall: 361 pages: full-page black and white illustrations. Synopsis: A collection of critical studies by Charles Baudelaire translated and edited with notes and illustrations by Jonathan Mayne. Contents: – Editor's notes and acknowledgements. Editor's introduction. Bibliographical note. The Salon of 1845 (Introduction. History paintings. Portraits. Genre paintings. Landscape. Drawings,. Engravings. Sculpture.) The Salon of 1846 ( To the bourgeois. What is the good of criticism? What is Romanticism? On colour. Erotic subjects in art and M. Tassaert. On some colourists. On the ideal and the model. Draughtsmen. Portraiture .M. Horace Vernet. Eclecticism and doubt. M. Ary Scheffer. Sentiment. Doubters. Landscape. Why sculpture is tiresome. On schools and journeymen. The heroism of modern life.) On the essence of laughter. Some French Caricaturists. Some Foreign Caricaturists. The Exposition Universelle 1855 (Critical Method-- Ingres. Eugene Delacroix.) The Salon of 1859 (The modern artist. modern public and photography. Thequeen of the faculties. Governance of the imagination. Religion, history, fantasy – portraiture – landscape – sculpture – envoi.) The life and works of Eugene Delacroix. Appendix: translation of verse in the text. Notes on illustrations. Index. 68 black and white plates (many full-page) support the text. Condition: slight discolouration and shelf fading to cover: ownership inscription and upper corner removed front free endpaper: contents very clean: overall good, firm, and collectable.
- Condition: Collectable- Good
- Dustcover: No
- Binding: Hardback
- Type: Used Books
Mary Ward Books is an independent online bookstore specialising
in second hand, out of print books and used books such as The Mirror of Art: Critical studies by Charles Baudelaire. We offer a book search facility and
secure payments via PayPal and Nochex.
We aim to be of service, please click here to read our testimonials from past customers - and please feel free to leave your own feedback!
Mary Ward Books is based in East Anglia, United Kingdom. We were established in 1997 and have been selling books online since 2002. We ship worldwide, please click here to see our shipping charges for The Mirror of Art: Critical studies by Charles Baudelaire.
We have many other books in our Art- History section for sale of which below is a selection - Please feel free to browse them or press the 'continue shopping' button below to see the entire Art- History category.