- Book Title: Journey to Java
- Author: Harold Nicolson
- ISBN: MW00126432
- Publisher: Constable
- Year Published: 1957
- Our Normal Price: £36.30 GBP ($0.00 USD)
- 10% Discounted Price: £32.67 GBP ($0.00 USD)
- Description: Constable, London, 1957: first edition blue cloth hardcover with gilt lettering to front and spine in dust jacket: approximately 5.5 by 8.75 inches tall: 254 pages including index: eight half tone full-page photographic reproductions. Synopsis: Harold Nicolson's diary record of his first visit to the far East in 1957, when as he approached the age of 70, he cruised to Java and back aboard the liner Willem Ruys of the Rotterdam Lloyd. Accompanied by his wife, V Sackville- West, he records details of routine and life aboard ship; his interaction with the crew and his fellow passengers; the happenings at home revealed in the contents of his letters; and his thoughts -including the problem of obtaining contentment, and the reasons why after the Napoleonic wars young romantics indulged in melancholy rather than, as later, in anger. His diary entries date from Tuesday January the 15th to Sunday March the 17th, as he journeyed across the North Atlantic, the Equator, the South Atlantic, round the Cape of Good Hope, across the Indian Ocean and through the Malacca Strait to Java: before turning around for the homeward journey. His trip included a planned course of specialised reading, ( including Galen, Burton, Rousseau, Chateaubriand Novalis, Kierkegaard, and Connolly) . Condition: some creasing, wear and repair to the dust jacket: preliminary and last pages foxed: overall firm, good and collectable.
- Condition: Collectable- Good
- Dustcover: Yes
- Binding: Hardback
- Type: Used Books
Mary Ward Books is an independent online bookstore specialising
in second hand, out of print books and used books such as Journey to Java by Harold Nicolson. We offer a book search facility and
secure payments via PayPal and Nochex.
We aim to be of service, please click here to read our testimonials from past customers - and please feel free to leave your own feedback!
Mary Ward Books is based in East Anglia, United Kingdom. We were established in 1997 and have been selling books online since 2002. We ship worldwide, please click here to see our shipping charges for Journey to Java by Harold Nicolson.
We have many other books in our Adventure Exploration & Travel section for sale of which below is a selection - Please feel free to browse them or press the 'continue shopping' button below to see the entire Adventure Exploration & Travel category.