- Book Title: Catalogue of the Herbert Allen collection of English porcelain Victoria and Albert Museum
- Author: Bernard Rackham
- ISBN: MW001341516
- Publisher: HMSO
- Year Published: 1917
- Our Normal Price: £39.60 GBP ($51.48 USD)
- 10% Discounted Price: £35.64 GBP ($46.33 USD)
- Description: His Majesty's Stationery Office,London, 1917: first edition blue cloth hardcover: approximately 7.25 x 10 inches tall: 168 pages of text plus 99 pages of black and white photographic illustrations: "Yours sincerely the collector" inscribed in ink over a black and white photograph to front fixed endpaper: dated 10th of January 1922. Synopsis: A collection of English porcelain bequeathed by Mr Herbert Allen in 1915 to the Victoria and Albert Museum. Many of the pieces previously owned by the other collectors- John Rainey , Joseph Marryat, Hugh Owen, William Edkins, William Bemose, and Alfred Trapnell; some pieces judged by the museum as among the finest produced by relevant makers. Descriptive notes to each exhibit, interspersed with historical surveys of the porcelain factories, followed by 99 black and white photographs of exhibits and manufacturers marks. The exhibits include:- Part One: English porcelain. Bow. Chelsea. Chelsea-Derby. Derby. Pinxton. Worcester. Caughley. Coalport. Nantgarw. Swansea. Plymouth. Bristol. Lowestoft. Liverpool. Longton Hall. New hall. Longport (Davenport) . Stoke upon Trent (Minton) Stoke upon Trent (Spode). Stoke upon Trent (Copeland) Etruria (Wedgwood). Staffordshire porcelain decorated at Dublin. Staffordshire porcelain, manufacture uncertain. Swinton (Rockingham Ware). Other English porcelain, manufacture uncertain. Part Two: English Earthenwares and Stoneware. Burslem and Etruria (Wedgwood), Stoke upon Trent (Spode), Stoke upon Trent (Copeland), Lane Delph,Fenton (Mason), Staffordshire earthenware and stoneware, manufacture uncertain. Part Three: German and Austrian porcelain. Meissen. Vienna. Hochst. Nymphenburgh. Berlin. Furstenberg. Ludwigsburg. Ansbach-Bruckberg. Volkstedt. Part Four: French porcelain. St Cloud. Chantilly.Sevres. Niderviller. Clignancourt. Paris, Rue Fontaine-au-Roy or La Courtill. Paris, Rue De Bondy. Paris, Rue De La Roquette. French porcelain of uncertain manufacture. Part Five: Other European porcelain. Flemish-Tournay. Dutch- Oude Loosdrecht. Swiss-Zurich. Italian: a.Venice. b. Doccia. c.Le Nove. d.Naples. Danish-Copenhagen. Swedish- Marieberg. Russian. a.Moscow(Gardner). b.Moscow (Popoff). Hungarian-Herend. Part 6: European earthenware. Dutch-Delft. French-Rouen. German. Italian. Hungarian-Holitsch. Appendix. Chinese stoneware. Yi-Hsien. Japanese porcelain. Arita ( Kakiyemon). Condition: cover corners bumped: crease to upper right cover corner: spine ends worn : free endpapers foxed: contents very clean: overall good and collectable. Please note a heavy book, shipping surcharge will apply
- Condition: Collectable- Good
- Dustcover: No
- Binding: Hardback
- Type: Used Books
Mary Ward Books is an independent online bookstore specialising
in second hand, out of print books and used books such as Catalogue of the Herbert Allen collection of English porcelain Victoria and Albert Museum by Bernard Rackham. We offer a book search facility and
secure payments via PayPal and Nochex.
We aim to be of service, please click here to read our testimonials from past customers - and please feel free to leave your own feedback!
Mary Ward Books is based in East Anglia, United Kingdom. We were established in 1997 and have been selling books online since 2002. We ship worldwide, please click here to see our shipping charges for Catalogue of the Herbert Allen collection of English porcelain Victoria and Albert Museum by Bernard Rackham.
We have many other books in our Antiques- Ceramics section for sale of which below is a selection - Please feel free to browse them or press the 'continue shopping' button below to see the entire Antiques- Ceramics category.
If you can't find the book you're looking for - there is still a good chance we have it in our off-line collection. Please fill in our off-line book request form here and we'll search our collection for you.