- Book Title: Primitive Peoples Today
- Author: Edward Weyer
- ISBN: MW001888425
- Publisher: Hamish Hamilton
- Year Published: 1959
- Our Normal Price: £27.50 GBP ($35.48 USD)
- 22% Discounted Price: £21.45 GBP ($27.67 USD)
- Description: Hamish Hamilton 1959, first edition: Brown cloth hardcover with gilt lettering to spine in dust jacket approx 8.7 5 x 11.25 inches tall: 288 pages including index: black and white photographic illustrations plus 58 in full colour. Synopsis a comprehensive account of the life of primitive man in the 1950s. The anthropologist explorer, Dr Weyer, describes and analyses the dress, habitation, food gathering , adolescence ceremonies, courtship, sexual and marriage customs, warfare, witchcraft, and religions of 14 Tribes of primitive peoples. The illustrations, many of them published for the first time, portraying the private lives of members of more than 60 tribes, including the scarification ceremonies of the Caraja, the ant trials of the Oyanas, the dance of the wild Chavante- the veiled men of the North African Desert, Ivory Coast sorcerers dancing with the body of a hypnotised child, and New Guinea couples in their weekly nose rubbing parties. Photographs are contributed by 40 photographers. Contents include: -- Introduction: the world of primitive man. An Arctic hunting people: The Eskimos. Sea- folk of the Subarctic: the Aleuts. An American Indian tribe: the Navahos. A Central American tribe: The Lacandones. A Panama tribe: the San Blas. A tribe of the eastern Andes: the Head- shrinking Jivaros. A tribe of Central Brazil: the Camayuras. A tribe of Arctic Eurasia: the Reindeer -herding Lapps. Slave traders of Africa: the Ovimbundu. A people of the South African deserts: The Bushmen. White aborigines in Eastern Asia: the Hairy Ainus. A people in the Eastern Himalayas: the Lolos. A wandering tribe of the Australian desert: the Aruntas. Stone- Age Seamen of the South Seas: the Samoans. Notes on the author and photographers. Index. Condition dust jacket tired and repaired: preliminary and end pages foxad: a few occasional fox marks to page margins : overall firm clean and acceptable.PLEASE NOTE A HEAVY BOOK: SHIPPING SURCHARGE WIL APPLY FOR CUSTOMERS OUTSIDE THE U.K.
- Condition: Collectable- Acceptable
- Dustcover: Yes
- Binding: Hardback
- Type: Used Books
Please note books ordered after 3pm on the 11th Feb 2017 (GMT) will be dispatched on the 22nd Feb 2017
Mary Ward Books is an independent online bookstore specialising
in second hand, out of print books and used books such as Primitive Peoples Today by Edward Weyer. We offer a book search facility and
secure payments via PayPal and Nochex.
We aim to be of service, please click here to read our testimonials from past customers - and please feel free to leave your own feedback!
Mary Ward Books is based in East Anglia, United Kingdom. We were established in 1997 and have been selling books online since 2002. We ship worldwide, please click here to see our shipping charges for Primitive Peoples Today by Edward Weyer.
We have many other books in our Anthropology & Sociology section for sale of which below is a selection - Please feel free to browse them or press the 'continue shopping' button below to see the entire Anthropology & Sociology category.
If you can't find the book you're looking for - there is still a good chance we have it in our off-line collection. Please fill in our off-line book request form here and we'll search our collection for you.