- Book Title: Manual of the Steam Engine
- Author: W J M Rankine . W J Millar
- ISBN: MW004532166
- Publisher: Charles Griffin
- Year Published: 1891
- Our Normal Price: £275.00 GBP ($343.75 USD)
- 10% Discounted Price: £247.50 GBP ($309.38 USD)
- Description: Manual of the Steam Engine and Other Prime Movers Charles Griffin and company, London, 1891: 13th edition of A Manual of the Steam Engine and Other Prime Movers by William John Macquorn Rankin (Professor of Civil Engineering and Mechanics, University of Glasgow,1855; President of the Scottish Institution of Engineers, 1858) revised by W. J. Millar : red cloth hardcover approximately 5 x 2 x 7.5 inches tall: 615 pages plus publisher's catalogue: black and white engravings, folding plates, diagrams- including that of the mechanical properties of steam-, tables, and charts. Synopsis: A comprehensive and well illustrated volume explaining the scientific principles of the action of prime movers or machines for obtaining motive power and demonstrating how these principles are applied to practical questions. The introduction covers principles, the mechanical contrivances common to all prime movers, the laws of strength of Materials; Part One covers the use of muscular strength to obtain motive power; Part Two concerns prime movers driven by the motion of water and air including water pressure engines, waterwheels, turbines, and windmills; and the third and major part concerns engines driven by the mechanical action of heat, especially steam engines. The authors examine the phenomena of heat, the mechanical action in engines, the laws of combustion and properties of fuel, and the principles of fuel economy in laws of heat action producing motive power (principles of thermodynamics) to various engines especially steam engines of all varieties; the nature and action of the parts of furnaces and boilers and the mechanism of steam engines. Contents: -- Introduction: Of Machines in General. (Of resistance and work. Deviating and centrifugal force. Of effort, energy, power, and efficiency. Of dynamometers. Of brakes. Of Flywheels. Of regulators and governors in general. Summary of principles of the strength of machines). Part One: Of Muscular Power. (General principles. Power of men. Power of horses and other beasts.) Part Two: Of Water and Wind Power (Sources of water for power. Waterpower engines in general. Of water bucket engines. Of water pressure engines. Of vertical waterwheels. Overshot and breast wheels. Undershot wheels. Of turbines. Of fluid on fluid impulse engines. Of windmills. ) Part Three: Of Steam and Other Heat Engines. (Of relations amongst the phenomena of heat. Of combustion and fuel. Principles of thermodynamics. Of furnaces and boilers. On the mechanism of steam engines (on the mechanism of steam engines in general. Of steam passages, valves, and valve gearing. Of cylinders, pistons and piston rods. Of condensers and pumps. Of connecting mechanism. Additional examples of pumping and marine engines. Locomotive engines. Of steam turbines.). Of electromagnetic engines.) Condition: discoloration and edge rubbed to cover: slight division to front endpaper hinge. Contents very clean and good. Overall good, firm, and collectable
- Condition: Collectable- Good
- Dustcover: No
- Binding: Hardback
- Type: Used Books
Please note books ordered after 3pm on the 11th Feb 2017 (GMT) will be dispatched on the 22nd Feb 2017
Mary Ward Books is an independent online bookstore specialising
in second hand, out of print books and used books such as Manual of the Steam Engine by W J M Rankine . W J Millar. We offer a book search facility and
secure payments via PayPal and Nochex.
We aim to be of service, please click here to read our testimonials from past customers - and please feel free to leave your own feedback!
Mary Ward Books is based in East Anglia, United Kingdom. We were established in 1997 and have been selling books online since 2002. We ship worldwide, please click here to see our shipping charges for Manual of the Steam Engine by W J M Rankine . W J Millar.
We have many other books in our Architecture , Engineering & Technology section for sale of which below is a selection - Please feel free to browse them or press the 'continue shopping' button below to see the entire Architecture , Engineering & Technology category.
If you can't find the book you're looking for - there is still a good chance we have it in our off-line collection. Please fill in our off-line book request form here and we'll search our collection for you.