- Book Title: The Art and Architecture of China
- Author: Laurence Sickman Alexander Soper
- ISBN: MW0065743888
- Publisher: Penguin Books
- Year Published: 1960
- Our Normal Price: £38.50 GBP ($0.00 USD)
- 10% Discounted Price: £34.65 GBP ($0.00 USD)
- Description: Penguin books 1960: second edition with additions: red cloth hardcover with black title label and gilt lettering to spine , gilt bird emblem to front in dust jacket, approximately 7.25 x 10.25 inches tall: 336 pages plus 190 black and white plates plus black and white charts, maps, and inset line drawings. Synopsis: A comprehensive and scholastic account of the evolution of painting, sculpture, and architecture in China, from the Shang Dynasty, 2000 years BC to the end of the Ch'ing Dynasty, early 20th century. 190 black and white plates (many full page) support the text arranged as follows: -- Part One : Painting and Sculpture by Lawrence Sickmann : 1) Introduction. 2) Shang -Yin to early Chou sculpture (middle and late Chou Dynasty sculpture). 3) Vestiges of early painting. 4) The Han Dynasty. 5) Han Dynasty sculpture. 6) Han Dynasty painting. 7) Funerary stones and tiles. 8) Beginning of Buddhist sculpture: Yun- Kang. 9) Sculpture during the Wei Dynasty. 10) Sculpture during the late Sixth Century and Sui Dynasty. 11) Painting during the Three Kingdoms and the Six Dynasties. 12) T'ang Dynasty sculpture. 13) T'ang Dynasty painting. (Yen Li-pen, Buddhist Painting, The Court Painters, Landscape Painting.) 14) Sculpture from the 10th to the 14th century. 15) The Masters of Landscape. 16) Figure paintings. 17) Sung Hui- Tsung and the Academy. 18) Birds, flowers, and animals. 19) The Academy at Hang- Chou. 20) Ch'an Buddhist painters. 21) Supernatural and Taoist themes.22) Yuan Dynasty painting. 23) Painters of Bamboo and Plum Flowers.24) Introduction to Paintings of the Ming Dynasty. 25) The Early Painters. 26) The Academy and the Che School. 27) The Wu school. 28) and Tung Ch'i Ch'ang. 29) Landscape painters of the Ch'ing dynasty.30) Individualist painters of the 17th to 18th centuries.
Part Two: Architecture by Alexander Soper: 31) Introduction. 32) From earliest times to the Chou Dynasty ( Prehistoric age and the Shang. The Chou Dynasty.) 33) From Ch'in to the Six Dynasties. Ch'in, Han, and the Three Kingdoms,221 BC-AD 265. The period of the Six Dynasties, AD 265-581). 34) The Second Imperial Age: Sui and T'ang, AD 581-907. General. The T'ang masonry pagoda. Wood framed buildings of T'ang's style.)35)The Five Dynasties and Sung,907-1279.(General.Masonry pagodas.Timber framed buildings.) 36) The Barbarian Empires: Liao,Chin,and Yuan,907-1367.(General.Pagoda type.Wooden Halls.) 37) Ming and Ch'ing,1367-1912. Notes to Parts 1 and 2. Glossary to Parts 1 and 2.Bibliography.Index. Condition: dustjacket edges damaged and repaired: hardcover and contents very clean and good.
- Condition: Collectable- Good
- Dustcover: Yes
- Binding: Hardback
- Type: Used Books
Mary Ward Books is an independent online bookstore specialising
in second hand, out of print books and used books such as The Art and Architecture of China by Laurence Sickman Alexander Soper. We offer a book search facility and
secure payments via PayPal and Nochex.
We aim to be of service, please click here to read our testimonials from past customers - and please feel free to leave your own feedback!
Mary Ward Books is based in East Anglia, United Kingdom. We were established in 1997 and have been selling books online since 2002. We ship worldwide, please click here to see our shipping charges for The Art and Architecture of China by Laurence Sickman Alexander Soper.
We have many other books in our Art- History section for sale of which below is a selection - Please feel free to browse them or press the 'continue shopping' button below to see the entire Art- History category.