- Book Title: Sotheby's catalogue of Mr and Mrs Jack R Dicks collection of English sporting and conversation paintings part 3
- Author: Sotherbys April 23 1975
- ISBN: MW0066565
- Publisher: Sotherbys
- Year Published: 1975
- Our Normal Price: £46.75 GBP ($60.31 USD)
- 22% Discounted Price: £36.47 GBP ($47.04 USD)
- Description: Sotheby & Co 1975: Green cloth hardback catalogue approximately 7 .2 x 10 inches tall: 123 pages plus full-page colour and black and white illustration to facing pages. Synopsis: Part three of the catalogue of English sporting and conversation paintings belonging to Mr and Mrs Jack Dick offered for sale by Sotherbys at auction on Wednesday the 23rd of April 1975. The lots numbered 93 -- 140 (each with full-page black and white or colour illustration) include work by the following artists:-. Henry Alken senior ( 1. Warming up. 2. The Quorn Hunt: taking a dry bank and throwing off -a pair . 3. Hunting scenes: setting off; the end of the day, a pair. 4. Hunting scenes: The meet; full cry; taking a ditch and the kill, a set of four. 5. Cockfighting scenes: Set to and the death, a pair on panel.) Henry Alken junior : ( 1. Coaching scenes: the York mailcoach in a snow drift and the Dover mailcoach in a flood, a pair.) Samuel Alken: (1. Hunting scenes: Unkennelling; throwing off; breaking cover and the kill, set of four.) Richard Ansdell: (1. The Caledonian coursing meeting near the Castle of Ardrossan, the Isle of Arran in the distance, (two page fold- in colour illustration plus three full-page detail in colour) Arthur Devis: (1. A family group in a garden.) David Dalby of York: (1. Going to the meet: five huntsmen at a crossroads, open landscape beyond.) John Ferneley senior: (1. Quirke, groom to the Glengall family standing in Cumberland Terrace, Regents Park. 2.Portrait of Lord Rossmore , mounted on a chestnut, and his brother the Hon Warner Westentra. 3. General Chasse the property of Sir James Boswell. 4. Sir Harry Goodricke wearing hunting pink. 5.The Quorn in full cry. 6.The Quorn, end of a long run. 7. Portrait of John Morant esq. Aged 33.) John Fredrick Herring senior: ( 1.The shooting party. 2. The Royal mail coach at speed. 3. Hunting scenes: the meet; gone away; full cry and the kill. 4. Barefoot. 5.Bees-Wing: a bay racehorse in a stable. 6. Eccentricity: a brown racehorse in a stable. 7. Lord George Bentinck's " Grey Momus". 8. A chestnut hunter, property of Mr John Wilkinson of Levitt Hagg. 9.The Flying Dutchman, a brown colt being saddled by two grooms.) Ben Marshall: ( 1.Satan and a piebald pony. 2.Musk, a bay hunter, the property of Captain Ricketts . 3. A light bay and a brown hunter in a paddock. 4. Portrait of J V Grinstead, brother-in-law to Lord Glamis.) George Morland: (1. Feeding pigs : a farmyard with rustics, horses and pigs. 2.Full Cry, huntsmen galloping beneath an oak tree. 3.A tavern interior with sportsmen taking refreshment.) James Pollard:( 1.The Elephant and Castle on the Brighton Road. 2. A trip to Epsom -- the Lord Nelson Inn at Cheam. 3.The race for the Derby Stakes 1828. 4.The Louth Mail, last run, 9 December 1845. 5.The Shrewsbury " Wonder" passing a country house. 6. Chances of the steeplechase number 4 - Mr Seffert and Moonraker at St Albans. 5. A Barouche drawn by four greys passing a Jacobean mansion. 6.The Royal Day Mail at Snaresbrook. 7.The Liverpool, Birmingham , Warwick and London Coach at the Peacock, Islington.) John Nott Sartorius: (1.A hunt in full cry.) James Seymour: (1. A Liver chestnut racehorse led by a groom mounted on a grey). George Stubbs: (1. Portrait of a huntsmen wearing a long green coat. 2. A chestnut hunter standing beside a river. ) F. C. Turner:( 1.Cotherstone and Poison.) James Ward: (1.Confidence and disappointment.) John Wootton( 1.Little David, a bay thoroughbred stallion belonging to the third Duke of Beaufort, being rubbed down at Newmarket. ) Condition: finely illustrated and very clean and good over all.
- Condition: Collectable- Very Good
- Dustcover: No
- Binding: Hardback
- Type: Used Books
Please note books ordered after 3pm on the 11th Feb 2017 (GMT) will be dispatched on the 22nd Feb 2017
Mary Ward Books is an independent online bookstore specialising
in second hand, out of print books and used books such as Sotheby's catalogue of Mr and Mrs Jack R Dicks collection of English sporting and conversation paintings part 3 by Sotherbys April 23 1975. We offer a book search facility and
secure payments via PayPal and Nochex.
We aim to be of service, please click here to read our testimonials from past customers - and please feel free to leave your own feedback!
Mary Ward Books is based in East Anglia, United Kingdom. We were established in 1997 and have been selling books online since 2002. We ship worldwide, please click here to see our shipping charges for Sotheby's catalogue of Mr and Mrs Jack R Dicks collection of English sporting and conversation paintings part 3 by Sotherbys April 23 1975.
We have many other books in our Art- History section for sale of which below is a selection - Please feel free to browse them or press the 'continue shopping' button below to see the entire Art- History category.
If you can't find the book you're looking for - there is still a good chance we have it in our off-line collection. Please fill in our off-line book request form here and we'll search our collection for you.