Total Items = 0
Total Price = £0.00 GBP ($0.00 USD)
Social Sciences / Philosophy & Psychology / Nineteenth Century Studies Coleridge to Matthew Arnold by Basil Willey
Friday, December 09, 2016
- Book Title: Nineteenth Century Studies Coleridge to Matthew Arnold
- Author: Basil Willey
- ISBN: MW00843217
- Publisher: Chatto and Windus
- Year Published: 1949
- Our Normal Price: £33.00 GBP ($41.58 USD)
- 10% Discounted Price: £29.70 GBP ($37.42 USD)
- Description: Chatto and Windus 1949 first edition with ink inscription to front free endpaper ' ex libris Lord Eustace Percy , given to me by Lady Percy. March 1972 ' signed Charles Ransom: red cloth hardcover with gilt lettering to spine: approximately 5.5 x 9 inches tall: 290 pages including index. Synopsis: Described by the author in the preface as ' a preliminary enquiry into the history of religious and moral ideas in the 19th century ' and with the following chapters: -- Chapter 1: Samuel Taylor Coleridge. ( Introductory. The Early Coleridge. Imagination and Fancy. Reason and Understanding. Religion and Morality. The Interpretation of Scripture. The Constitution of Church and State.) Chapter 2: Thomas Arnold. (The Eminent Victorian. The idea of a Christian society. Arnold and the Oxford Movement. Religion and Education. Scriptural Interpretation. Arnold and the Lake District.) Chapter 3: Newman and the Oxford Movement. Chapter 4: Thomas Carlyle. (Introductory. Carlyle's Religion. Carlyle's Moral and Political Ideas.) Chapter 5: A Note on Bentham's Deontology. Chapter 6: John Stuart Mill. (The autobiography. Logic: Ethology and Sociology. The Principles of Political Economy. On Liberty. Utilitarianism. Three Essays on Religion.) Chapter 7: Auguste Comte (The Philosophie Positive. The Politique Positive and the Religion of Humanity.) Chapter 8: George Eliot: Hennell, Strauss and Feuerbach. (Introductory. Hennell's Inquiry. Strauss's Life of Jesus. Feuerbach's Essence of Christianity.) Chapter 9: George Eliot, Conclusion. Chapter 10: Matthew Arnold (Introductory. Culture and Anarchy. Arnold's Religious Writings.) Index. Condition: No dust jacket: spine slightly shelf faded: back cover a slightly marked: contents very clean: overall firm, clean and good.
- Condition: Collectable- Good
- Dustcover: No
- Binding: Hardback
- Type: Used Books
Mary Ward Books is an independent family run online bookstore specialising
in second hand, out of print books and used books such as Nineteenth Century Studies Coleridge to Matthew Arnold by Basil Willey. We offer a used and out of print book search facility and
secure payments via PayPal and Nochex.
We aim to be of service, please click here to read our testimonials from past customers - and please feel free to leave your own feedback!
Mary Ward Books is based in East Anglia, United Kingdom. We were established in 1997 and have been selling books online since 2002. We ship worldwide, please click here to see our shipping charges for Nineteenth Century Studies Coleridge to Matthew Arnold by Basil Willey.
We have many other books in our Philosophy & Psychology section for sale of which below is a selection - Please feel free to browse them or press the 'continue shopping' button below to see the entire Philosophy & Psychology category.
If you can't find the book you're looking for - there is still a good chance we have it in our off-line collection. Please fill in our off-line book request form here and we'll search our collection for you.
£1.00 GBP: $1.26 USD
in effect as of 2016-12-09