Total Items = 0
Total Price = £0.00 GBP ($0.00 USD)
Business / Economics, Finance, Business / Progress and poverty An enquiry into the cause of industrial depressions and of increase of want by Henry George
Tuesday, May 03, 2016
- Book Title: Progress and poverty An enquiry into the cause of industrial depressions and of increase of want
- Author: Henry George
- ISBN: MW0099882
- Publisher: Robert Shalkenbach Foundation
- Year Published: 1936
- Our Normal Price: £53.90 GBP ($79.23 USD)
- 10% Discounted Price: £48.51 GBP ($71.31 USD)
- Description: Robert Shalkenbach Foundation, 1936: Fiftieth anniversary edition: blue cloth hardcover with gilt lettering to front and spine: no dust jacket: approximately 5 x 7.5 inches tall: 571 pages including index. Synopsis: Published by the Robert Shalkenbach Foundation (Incorporated in 1925 to administer a trust fund left by the will of the late Robert Shalkenbach, former President of the New York Typothetae to acquaint the people of America and other countries with the social and economic philosophy of Henry George) to commemorate fifty years of the publication of Progress and Poverty, Henry Georges 'Enquiry in to the cause of industrial depressions and of increase of want with the increae of wealth '. Contents as follows: -- Book 1 -- Wages and Capital. (The current doctrine of wages -- it insufficiency. The meaning of the terms. Wages not drawn from capital, but produced by the labour. The maintenance of labourers not drawn from capital. The real functions of capital.) Book 2 -- Population and Subsistence. (The Malthusian Theory, its genesis and support. Inferences from facts. Inferences from analogy. Disproof of the Malthusian theory.) Book 3 -- The Laws of Distribution. (The enquiry narrowed to the laws of distribution -- necessary relation of these laws. Rent and the law of rent. Interest and the cause of interest. Of spurious capital and of profits often mistaken for interest. The law of interest. Wages and the law of wages. Correlation and coordination of these laws. The statics of the problem thus explained.) Book 4 -- Effect of Material Progress upon the Distribution of Wealth. (The dynamics of the problem yet to seek. Effect of increase in population upon the distribution of wealth. Effect of improvements in the arts on the distribution of wealth. Effect of the expectation raised by material progress.) Book 5 -- The Problem Solved. (The primary cause of recurring paroxysms of industrial depression. The persistence of poverty amid advancing wealth.). Book 6 -- The Remedy. (Insufficiency of remedies currently advocated. The true remedy.) Book 7 -- Justice of the Remedy (Injustice of private property in land. Enslavement of labourers the ultimate result of private property in land. Claim of landowners to compensation. Property in land historically considered. Property in land in the United States.) Book 8 -- Application of the Remedy. (Private property in land inconsistent with the best use of land. How equal rights to land may be asserted and secured. The proposition tried by the canons of taxation. Indorsements and objections.) Book 9 -- The Effects of the Remedy. (Of the effect upon the production of wealth. Of the effect upon distribution and thence upon production. Of the effect upon individuals and classes. Of the changes that would be wrought in social organisation and social life.) Book 10 -- The Law of Human Progress. (The current theory of human progress -- it's insufficiency. Differences in civilisation -- to what due. The law of human progress. How modern civilisation may decline. The central truth .) Conclusion: The problem of individual life. Condition: no dust jacket: cover slightly marked: spine ends bumped: spine edges slightly worn: ownership inscription with book plate: corner of page 203 missing: the occasional pencil or ink underlining. Overall clean, firm and good
- Condition: Collectable- Good
- Dustcover: No
- Binding: Hardback
- Type: Used Books
Mary Ward Books is an independent family run online bookstore specialising
in second hand, out of print books and used books such as Progress and poverty An enquiry into the cause of industrial depressions and of increase of want by Henry George. We offer a used and out of print book search facility and
secure payments via PayPal and Nochex.
We aim to be of service, please click here to read our testimonials from past customers - and please feel free to leave your own feedback!
Mary Ward Books is based in East Anglia, United Kingdom. We were established in 1997 and have been selling books online since 2002. We ship worldwide, please click here to see our shipping charges for Progress and poverty An enquiry into the cause of industrial depressions and of increase of want by Henry George.
We have many other books in our Economics, Finance, Business section for sale of which below is a selection - Please feel free to browse them or press the 'continue shopping' button below to see the entire Economics, Finance, Business category.
If you can't find the book you're looking for - there is still a good chance we have it in our off-line collection. Please fill in our off-line book request form here and we'll search our collection for you.
£1.00 GBP: $1.47 USD
in effect as of 2016-05-02