- Book Title: The Singing Church an outline history of the music sung by choir and people
- Author: C Henry Phillips
- ISBN: MW0102943
- Publisher: Faber and Faber
- Year Published: 1945
- Our Normal Price: £16.50 GBP ($22.28 USD)
- 22% Discounted Price: £12.87 GBP ($17.37 USD)
- Description: Faber and Faber 1945: first edition, grey cloth hardcover with gilt lettering to spine: approximately 5.5 x 8.7inches tall: 279 pages including index: black and white illustrations, musical text, and history charts included. Synopsis: Described on the title page as 'an outline history of the music sung by choir and people' this book based on lectures attended and delivered at the College of St Nicholas, Chislehurst, Kent during the years preceding 1959 examines in detail the development of liturgy and music, and is arranged in six parts entitled as follows: – Part One: Pre-Reformation Services and Music (Origins. Service structure. Service music origins. Music. Types of service music. Harmonised music before 1500) Part Two: The 16th Century (Book of Common prayer. Musical problems of prayerbook. Choir music to the death of Gibbins – General, Technique, and the Repertory. Three composers. Organs and organ accompaniments to 1600.) Part Three: the 17th-Century. (Churchmanship and the prayerbook 1559 – 1662. Congregational music 1549 – 1662 1) Responses and Psalms.2) Metrical psalms and hymns. 3) The performance of psalms and hymns. Choir music:1) The new technique. 2) Choirs. 3) The repertory. Restoration organs and accompaniment.) Part Four: From Croft to Wesley (The Church. Congregational music: The establishment of the English hymn 1) The 18th-Century. 2) 19th-Century. Choir music –1) General. 2) Composers of the tradition. 3) The music 4.) The better composers. Organs and accompaniment). Part Five: since 1871. (Churchmanship and the prayerbook. The 1928 revision. Priests and people's music.1) Congregational music. 2) Psalms.3 ) Hymns and hymn books.4) The principles of hymns. Choir music –1) Recovery. 2) Church music and composers. Modern organs.) Part Six: An Essay on Principles and Practice. (Public worship. Music and the apparatus of worship. Parson and musician. Black and white illustrations and examples of musical scores support the text, and the volume includes a general bibliography, glossary of musical terms, and historical charts of the Pre-Reformation, 16th century, 17th-century, Croft to Wesley, and post 1871 periods. Condition: no dust jacket: spine and borders of cover shelf faded: ownership inscription: contents very clean: overall good and collectable
- Condition: Collectable- Good
- Dustcover: No
- Binding: Hardback
- Type: Used Books
Please note books ordered after 3pm on the 11th Feb 2017 (GMT) will be dispatched on the 22nd Feb 2017
Mary Ward Books is an independent online bookstore specialising
in second hand, out of print books and used books such as The Singing Church an outline history of the music sung by choir and people by C Henry Phillips. We offer a book search facility and
secure payments via PayPal and Nochex.
We aim to be of service, please click here to read our testimonials from past customers - and please feel free to leave your own feedback!
Mary Ward Books is based in East Anglia, United Kingdom. We were established in 1997 and have been selling books online since 2002. We ship worldwide, please click here to see our shipping charges for The Singing Church an outline history of the music sung by choir and people by C Henry Phillips.
We have many other books in our Music section for sale of which below is a selection - Please feel free to browse them or press the 'continue shopping' button below to see the entire Music category.
If you can't find the book you're looking for - there is still a good chance we have it in our off-line collection. Please fill in our off-line book request form here and we'll search our collection for you.