- Book Title: Sir Philip Sidney
- Author: Frederick S Boas
- ISBN: MW99331851
- Publisher: Staples
- Year Published: 1955
- Our Normal Price: £33.00 GBP ($0.00 USD)
- 10% Discounted Price: £29.70 GBP ($0.00 USD)
- Description: Staples Press 1955: first edition dark blue hardcover with gilt lettering to spine: approximately 5.5 by 8.75 inches tall: 204 pages including index. Synopsis: A scholarly analysis of Sir Philip Sidney's life and achievements, scrutinising his roles as scholar, courtier, diplomat, statesman, writer, and soldier; and assessing his impact upon the age of Queen Elizabeth 1. Contents:- Preface. 1) Birth and Parentage. 2)Shrewsbury School- Visit to Oxford. 3)Undergraduate at Christ Church, Oxford. 4)Continental Travel-Friendship with Hubert Languet. 5) With His Father in Ireland. 6)Elizabeth's Diplomatic Envoy- Interest in Exploration - Letter Against the French Marriage. 7)'The Lady of May' connection with Harvey and Spenser. 8)'The Defence of Posie.' 1 -- Philosophers Historians and Poets. 9)' The Defence of Posie 11' --Criticism of Contemporary Drama. 10) The Old 'Arcadia' Manuscripts -- First Printed Version. 11)The Old 'Arcadia'-- Oracles and Sex Entanglements. 12) The Manuscripts and the 1593 'Arcadia' -- A Suspected Murder and Political Crisis -- Euarchus as Judge -- Coup de Theatre. 13) The New 'Arcadia' -- Kalender's House -- Argalus and Parthenia 14) 'Amphialus and Queen Helen -- The Challenge of Phalantus. 15) Recitals by Musidorus and Pamela. 16) Pamphilus and Dido -- Deaths of Palladius and his Mother. 17) Political Debate-Queen Erona. 18) Cecropia's Castle -- Her Plots for Amphialus. 19) The 'Arcadia Through the Centuries -- The Two Versions Compared. 20) Metrical Virtuosity -- Philisides and Mira. 21) 'Astrophel and Stella' -- Editions -- Spontaneity -- Date. 22)'Astrophel and Stella'-- Songs --Joy and Disillusion. 23) Translations -- The Psalms -- Trewness of the Christian Religion. 24) Sidney and Don Antonio -- Family Letters -- Marriage. 25) Oxford again -- Trans-Atlantic Enterprise -- Ordnance Office -- Sidney and Drake . 26) Governor of Flushing -- Pessimist Report -- Arrival of Leicester -- Death of Sir Henry and Lady Mary. 27) Military Operations -- Wounded at Zutphen -- Makes Will -- Death.28) National Grief and Tributes -- The Funeral. 29)Conclusions. Index. Condition: Preliminary pages and page edging foxed: overall clean, firm and good.
- Condition: Collectable- Very Good
- Dustcover: No
- Binding: Hardback
- Type: Used Books
Mary Ward Books is an independent online bookstore specialising
in second hand, out of print books and used books such as Sir Philip Sidney by Frederick S Boas. We offer a book search facility and
secure payments via PayPal and Nochex.
We aim to be of service, please click here to read our testimonials from past customers - and please feel free to leave your own feedback!
Mary Ward Books is based in East Anglia, United Kingdom. We were established in 1997 and have been selling books online since 2002. We ship worldwide, please click here to see our shipping charges for Sir Philip Sidney by Frederick S Boas.
We have many other books in our Biography section for sale of which below is a selection - Please feel free to browse them or press the 'continue shopping' button below to see the entire Biography category.
If you can't find the book you're looking for - there is still a good chance we have it in our off-line collection. Please fill in our off-line book request form here and we'll search our collection for you.