- Book Title: An Encyclopaedia of Gardening comprising the theory and practice of horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and lands
- Author: J C Loudon
- ISBN: MWB333
- Publisher: Longmans, Hurst etc
- Year Published: 1825
- Our Normal Price: £132.00 GBP ($171.60 USD)
- 22% Discounted Price: £102.96 GBP ($133.85 USD)
- Description: Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme , Brown and Green, London 1825, second edition with '100 more new engravings and more printed matter' than the first edition. Mottled green and brown boards with light green spine and black corners. Approximately 14.5 by 7.5 x 23.5 cm tall: 1233 hand cut pages: illustrations described as 'many hundred engravings on wood by Branston'. Synopsis: An early 19th-century treasure- trove of gardening history, comment and advice entitled 'An Encyclopaedia of Gardening; comprising the theory and practice of Horticulture, Floriculture, Arboriculture, and Landscape Gardening including all the latest improvements; a General History of Gardening In All Countries; and a statistical view of its present state, with suggestions for its future progress, in the British Isles. Arranged in four parts as follows- Part One: Gardening considered in respect to its origin, progress, and present state among different nations, governments and climates. Part Two: Gardening considered as a science. Part Three: Gardening as practised in Britain. Part Four: Statistics of British Gardening,-the copiously illustrated text describes subjects including Gardens of the Romans. Gardening in France, Germany, Russia, Spain, Portugal, Anglo- North America and the British Isles;Jussieuean Hortus Britannicus, the classification and simple and compound structures of plants; the process and anomalies of vegetables; the developments; propagation, diseases, and distribution of vegetables; soils. manures, water , light, and the atmosphere; implements of Gardening; principles of design in hothouses and buildings; operations of exotic culture; vermin and diseases; gathering and preserving; pruning; artificially heat; improvements in pineapple culture; mushroom cultivation; exotic fruits and many other topics. Condition: Some wear to cover including edges: gilt lettering to spine faded : endpapers and a few pages foxed. Foxing and crinkling to the hand- cut edges. Overall clean, firm and collectable. Please note a heavy book: shipping surcharge will apply
- Condition: See Above
- Dustcover: No
- Binding: Hardback
- Type: Used Books
Please note books ordered after 3pm on the 11th Feb 2017 (GMT) will be dispatched on the 22nd Feb 2017
Mary Ward Books is an independent online bookstore specialising
in second hand, out of print books and used books such as An Encyclopaedia of Gardening comprising the theory and practice of horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and lands by J C Loudon. We offer a book search facility and
secure payments via PayPal and Nochex.
We aim to be of service, please click here to read our testimonials from past customers - and please feel free to leave your own feedback!
Mary Ward Books is based in East Anglia, United Kingdom. We were established in 1997 and have been selling books online since 2002. We ship worldwide, please click here to see our shipping charges for An Encyclopaedia of Gardening comprising the theory and practice of horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and lands by J C Loudon.
We have many other books in our Gardening- General section for sale of which below is a selection - Please feel free to browse them or press the 'continue shopping' button below to see the entire Gardening- General category.
If you can't find the book you're looking for - there is still a good chance we have it in our off-line collection. Please fill in our off-line book request form here and we'll search our collection for you.