- Book Title: Specimens of English Dramatic Criticism XVII-XX Centuries
- Author: Selected and Introduced by A C Ward
- ISBN: MWB4291766
- Publisher: Oxford University Press
- Year Published: 1945
- Our Normal Price: £22.00 GBP ($29.26 USD)
- 10% Discounted Price: £19.80 GBP ($26.33 USD)
- Description: Oxford University Press, 1945 first edition, number 498 in the World's Classics series: blue cloth hardcover with gilt lettering to upper spine: approximately 3.5 x 6" tall: 355 pages with blue to upper edge. Contents: introduction by A.C. Ward. London Theatres in the 1660s by Samuel Pepys. Betterton's Benefit by Sir Richard Steele. Thomas Betterton by Colley That. Garrick's First Performance in London by Thomas Davies. Mr Partridge Sees Garrick by Henry Fielding. The Beggar's Opera: 18th Century by Francis Gentleman. Mrs Siddons. By Leigh Hunt. Others – and Mrs Siddons is by Julian Charles Young. The Beggar's Opera: 19th Century by William Hazlitt. Kean as Richard the Third by Thomas Barnes. On Actors and Acting by William Hazlitt. On The Artificial Comedy of the Last Century by Charles Lamb. Phelps at Sadler's Wells by Henry Morley. At the Pantomime by John Ruskin. Castle by The Times. On Natural Acting by George Henry Lewes. Ellen Terry by Dutton Cook. Ellen Terry by Joseph Knight. Irving in Shakespeare by Dutton Cook. Ghosts by Clement Scott. Arms and the Man by William Archer. Trilby by The Times. Donkey Races by Alice Meynell. Fobes Robertson's Hamlet by Bernard Shaw. Trelawney of the ' Wells' by J. T. Grein. R. F. Benson's Richard 11 by CE Montague. Dan Leno by Sir Max Beerbohm. The Wild Duck by Desmond MacCarthy. The Voysey Inheritance by A B Walkley. The Playboy of the Western World by the Irish Times. That Dreadful Play by P D Kenny. Granville Barker's Production of 12th Night by the Morning Post. The Pretenders by the Daily Telegraph. The Beggar's Opera: 20th century by The Times. The Tragic Actress (Sybil Thorndike) by W A Darlington. A bill of divorcement by St. John Irvine. This Search for the Masterpiece (Shall We Join the Ladies?) By H W Massingham. Peer Gynt at the Old Vic by D L Murray. Marie Lloyd. ' The Way of the World' by James Agate. Hamlet in Modern Dress by Hubert Griffith. A Creato r (Charles Lawton) by Sir Hugh Walpole. Biblical (Tobias and the Angel) by Ivor Brown. '1Twelfth Night' at the Old Vic by Virginia Woolf. ' Murder in the Cathedral' by The Times. ' As You like It.' at the Old Vic by Alan J. Editor's note. Descriptive index. Condition: Front endpapers and long cut edges lightly foxed: overall very clean, firm and good.
- Condition: See Above
- Dustcover: No
- Binding: Hardback
- Type: Used Books
Mary Ward Books is an independent online bookstore specialising
in second hand, out of print books and used books such as Specimens of English Dramatic Criticism XVII-XX Centuries by Selected and Introduced by A C Ward. We offer a book search facility and
secure payments via PayPal and Nochex.
We aim to be of service, please click here to read our testimonials from past customers - and please feel free to leave your own feedback!
Mary Ward Books is based in East Anglia, United Kingdom. We were established in 1997 and have been selling books online since 2002. We ship worldwide, please click here to see our shipping charges for Specimens of English Dramatic Criticism XVII-XX Centuries by Selected and Introduced by A C Ward.
We have many other books in our Literature Prose & Linguistics section for sale of which below is a selection - Please feel free to browse them or press the 'continue shopping' button below to see the entire Literature Prose & Linguistics category.
If you can't find the book you're looking for - there is still a good chance we have it in our off-line collection. Please fill in our off-line book request form here and we'll search our collection for you.