- Book Title: A Student's History of England from the earliest times to 1885
- Author: S R Gardiner
- ISBN: mw001231999
- Publisher: Longmans Green and Co-
- Year Published: 1985
- Our Normal Price: £46.20 GBP ($60.98 USD)
- 22% Discounted Price: £36.04 GBP ($47.57 USD)
- Description: Longmans, Green & Co. 1895, New edition: blue hard cover: gilt lettering to spine: 1023 pages including index: gilt upper page edging :black and white line illustrations throughout.Contents: Part One: England before the Norman conquest. Prehistoric and Roman Britain. The English settlements. The strife of the English kingdoms. The English kingship and the struggle with the Danes. Eadgar's England. England and Normandy. Part Two: The Norman and Angevin Kings. William 1. William 2. Henry 1 and Stephen. Henry 2. Richard 1. Part Three: The growth of the Parliamentary constitution. 1199 -- 1399. Henry 3. Edward 1 and Edward 2. From the accession of Edward 3 to the Treaty of Bretigni. Reign of Edward 3. After the Treaty of Bretigni. Richard 2 and the social revolution. Richard 2 and the political revolution. Part Four. Lancaster, York, and Tudor. 1399 -- 1509. Henry 4 and Henry 5. Henry 6 and the loss of France. The later years of Henry 6. The Yorkist Kings. Henry 7. Part Five: The Renaissance and the Reformation 1509 -- 1603. Henry 8 and Wolsey. The breach with the Papacy. The royal supremacy. Edward 6 and Mary. The Elizabethan settlement in church and state. Elizabeth and the European conflict. Elizabeth's year of triumph. Part Six . The Puritan Revolution 1603 -- 1660. James 1. The growth of the personal government of Charles 1. The overthrow of the personal government of Charles 1. The formation of Parliamentary parties in the first years of the civil war. The new model Army. The Commonwealth and the protectorate. Part Seven: The political revolution. 1616 -- 1689. Charles 2 and Clarendon. Charles2 and the cabal. Danby's administration and the three short parliaments. The last years of Charles 2 . James2. Part Eight : The rise of cabinet government. 1689 -- 1754. William 3 and Mary. Anne. Townsend, Sunderland, and Walpole. Walpole , Carteret and the Pelhams. Part Nine: The fall of the Whigs and the rise of the new Toryism. 1754 -- 1789 . Newcastle and Pitt. The breakup of the Whig party. The struggle for American independence. Pitt and Fox. Part Ten : The conflict with democracy. 1789 -- 1827. England and the French Revolution. The Union with Ireland and the peace of Amiens. The ascendancy of Napoleon. The downfall of Napoleon. England and Waterloo. Part Eleven : the growth of democracy. Catholic emancipation and Parliamentary reform. The Reformers in power. Free trade. The Crimean War and the Indian mutiny. Antecedents and results of the second reform act . Index. Condition: cover slightly discoloured, with edges rubbed: slight damage lower spine and spine/ front cover edge: corners bumped; sporadic foxing throughout: page 355 creased, torn and re-attached at some time in the past: page 370 has lower edge protruding and is probably also reattached: uneven page edging darkened and foxed: overall used but clean, firm , still good and collectable.
- Condition: Collectable- Good
- Dustcover: No
- Binding: Hardback
- Type: Used Books
Mary Ward Books is an independent online bookstore specialising
in second hand, out of print books and used books such as A Student's History of England from the earliest times to 1885 by S R Gardiner. We offer a book search facility and
secure payments via PayPal and Nochex.
We aim to be of service, please click here to read our testimonials from past customers - and please feel free to leave your own feedback!
Mary Ward Books is based in East Anglia, United Kingdom. We were established in 1997 and have been selling books online since 2002. We ship worldwide, please click here to see our shipping charges for A Student's History of England from the earliest times to 1885 by S R Gardiner.
We have many other books in our History-British Political section for sale of which below is a selection - Please feel free to browse them or press the 'continue shopping' button below to see the entire History-British Political category.
If you can't find the book you're looking for - there is still a good chance we have it in our off-line collection. Please fill in our off-line book request form here and we'll search our collection for you.