- Book Title: The art of illumination,as practised during the Middle Ages
- Author: Henry Shaw F.S.A
- ISBN: mw0012398543
- Publisher: Bell and Daldy
- Year Published: 1870
- Our Normal Price: £110.00 GBP ($141.90 USD)
- 22% Discounted Price: £85.80 GBP ($110.68 USD)
- Description: Bell and Daldy, London: 1870: second edition with coloured illustration. Brown cloth hardcover with gilt lettering and heavy decoration to front and spine: approximately 7.5 by 11 inches tall: gilt edges: 65 pages of text plus 16 plates of coloured engravings: black and white engraving illustrated throughout. Synopsis: A beautifully illustrated book described on the title page as - "The Art of Illumination, as practised during the Middle Ages with a description of the metals, pigments, and processes employed by the artists at different periods by Henry Shaw F.S.A. Author of "Illuminated manuscripts of the Middle Ages." "Dresses and decorations of the Middle Ages " etc etc. List of engravings as follows :-1) Title. 2)Letter F., from a Bible of the ninth century in the British Museum. 3) Letter L., from a copy of the gospels of the 10th century in the British Museum. 4) From Canutes Gospels of the 11th century , in the British Museum. 5) Pilasters from a Passionale of the 12th century in the British Museum . 6) Letter B from the Lindersey Psalter of the date of the early part of the 13th century in the possession of the Society of antiquaries of London. 7) The first page of the Tenison Psalter of the date of 1284 in the British Museum. 8) A French Monk presenting his book to Richard the second of England , who is surrounded by his court. From a volume in the British Museum of the latter part of the 14th century. 9)Details from various MSS of the 14th century in the British Museum and the Bodleian library. 10) The Virgin and Child attended by Angels, from a copy of the Offices of the Virgin in the possession of Edwin H. Lawrence , of Abbey farm Lodge, Hampstead, of the date of about 1480 . 11) Letter R and text, from a Bible in the British Museum of the latter part of the 15th century. 12) & 13) From a copy of The Hours of the Virgin which formerly belonged to 11 of Spain of about the date of 1490, now in the British Museum . 14) A picture of the Annunciation, from a copy of the Offices of the Virgin of the beginning of the 16th century in the British Museum . 15) A letter P, from a drawing in the British Museum, which formerly belonged to the late Samuel Rogers, of the early part of the 16th century . 16) A page from a translation of the Ethics of Aristotle, from the Latin version of Leonardo Aretino, into Romance, by Prince Charles of Viana, of the date of about the middle of the 15th Century, in the British Museum . Condition: lower edges of cover and ends of spine slightly rubbed: upper 2 inches of spine has probably been reattached: endpapers foxed: occasional sporadic foxing throughout : binding fragile with some of the gilt edged pages partially detached: contents very clean: overall collectable
- Condition: Collectable- Acceptable
- Dustcover: No
- Binding: Hardback
- Type: Used Books
Please note books ordered after 3pm on the 11th Feb 2017 (GMT) will be dispatched on the 22nd Feb 2017
Mary Ward Books is an independent online bookstore specialising
in second hand, out of print books and used books such as The art of illumination,as practised during the Middle Ages by Henry Shaw F.S.A. We offer a book search facility and
secure payments via PayPal and Nochex.
We aim to be of service, please click here to read our testimonials from past customers - and please feel free to leave your own feedback!
Mary Ward Books is based in East Anglia, United Kingdom. We were established in 1997 and have been selling books online since 2002. We ship worldwide, please click here to see our shipping charges for The art of illumination,as practised during the Middle Ages by Henry Shaw F.S.A.
We have many other books in our Art- Design, Drawings & Techniques section for sale of which below is a selection - Please feel free to browse them or press the 'continue shopping' button below to see the entire Art- Design, Drawings & Techniques category.
If you can't find the book you're looking for - there is still a good chance we have it in our off-line collection. Please fill in our off-line book request form here and we'll search our collection for you.