- Book Title: The teachers manual of the science and art of teaching. 15th edition
- Author: Various
- ISBN: mw00123987674
- Publisher: London National Society's Depo
- Year Published: undated circa 1890
- Our Normal Price: £22.00 GBP ($29.04 USD)
- 22% Discounted Price: £17.16 GBP ($22.65 USD)
- Description: London National Society's Depository: undated but late 1800's with two ownership inscription dated '98 : green cloth hardback with gilt lettering to spine: 547 pages plus publishers list. Synopsis: a comprehensive late 19th-century textbook on the science and art of teaching . Contents. Section 1: The cultivation of the senses.( The senses. How the child gets his first ideas. How the child perceives. How the child forms conceptions. How shall we cultivate the child senses? Object lessons. On the special value of the physical sciences as instruments for cultivating the senses. The senses in relation to the ordinary subject of school instruction) Section 2: The cultivation of the memory.( What memory is . Attention. Association. Memory in connection with special subjects of instruction) Section 3: On the use of words. ( What words are. How we arrive at the full meaning of words. How we combine our words. How to teach children to use their words. Some hints on English words.) Section 4: On discipline.( Discipline. Characteristics of good discipline as regards its results. Characteristics and good discipline as regards its exercise. The instincts to be satisfied, and the motives to be cultivated in education. Motives. Habit.) Section 5: Class teaching .( Scope of the subject. The teacher. Method of instructions: aims and means. Method of instruction: class subjects. The class.) Section six: How to teach grammar.( Introduction. Classification and definition. Sentences and parts of speech. Inflexion and syntax. Parsing. The analysis of sentences. On teaching composition.) Section 7: Arithmetic, and how to teach it.( Guidance for teachers. Simple rules. Compound rules. Practices in proportion. Fractions. Some technical rules.) Section 8: How to teach geography. ( The earth. Great Britain. Continents and oceans.) Section 9: How to teach history.( The value and aim of history. The selection of facts. The classification of facts; and the order and mode of treatment.) Section 10: How to teach reading.( Division of the subject. Mechanical reading. Higher reading. Schemes for reading lessons. The alphabet and words of two letters. Easy words of three and four letters. Monosyllables and a few easy Dissyllables. Easy narrative in more difficult monosyllables. Reading with intelligence from an elementary reading book. Reading with intelligence from a more advanced book. Reading prose or poetry with intelligence. Reading with fluency and expression; and recitation of prose and poetry.) Section 11: How to teach writing.( Section 12: School furniture and apparatus, and their uses. Condition : front cover marked: edges of spine worn: corners bumped: page edges and end pages foxed: ownership inscriptions: overall firm clean and good
- Condition: Collectable- Good
- Dustcover: Yes
- Binding: Hardback
- Type: Used Books
Mary Ward Books is an independent online bookstore specialising
in second hand, out of print books and used books such as The teachers manual of the science and art of teaching. 15th edition by Various. We offer a book search facility and
secure payments via PayPal and Nochex.
We aim to be of service, please click here to read our testimonials from past customers - and please feel free to leave your own feedback!
Mary Ward Books is based in East Anglia, United Kingdom. We were established in 1997 and have been selling books online since 2002. We ship worldwide, please click here to see our shipping charges for The teachers manual of the science and art of teaching. 15th edition by Various.
We have many other books in our Education section for sale of which below is a selection - Please feel free to browse them or press the 'continue shopping' button below to see the entire Education category.
If you can't find the book you're looking for - there is still a good chance we have it in our off-line collection. Please fill in our off-line book request form here and we'll search our collection for you.