- Book Title: Letters from Cambridge 1939 - 1944
- Author: A.S.F. Gow
- ISBN: mw01272
- Publisher: Jonathan Cape
- Year Published: 1945
- Our Normal Price: £33.00 GBP ($0.00 USD)
- 10% Discounted Price: £29.70 GBP ($0.00 USD)
- Description: Jonathan Cape 1945: green cloth hardcover: "published in complete conformity with the authorised economy standards": no dust jacket: 259 pages including index. Synopsis: a collection of letters written by a Cambridge Don to his former pupils serving in the government, and the Armed Forces during the Second World War. Bearing a pseudonym of "parish magazine", the letters combine a record of the happenings at the University, the events of Cambridge, and succinct and frank observations concerning the political and martial events of the time . The circulation of the "parish magazine " increased from an initial 80 sent to Gibraltar, Cyprus, Palestine, Egypt, The Sudan, Nigeria, Natal, Rhodesia. Nyasaland, Tanganyika, Kenya, Iraq, India, Malaya, Sarawak, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Australia, and the USA. The author explains his motivation - ' I was moved by recollections of the last (first world)war, I remember how one lost touch with one's friends, uprooted as they commonly were from their usual avocations: and I remember the devastating boredom to which many, the soldiers in particular, fell a pray. Condition: cover used, with bumped corners and spine ends: contents very clean and good: overall good, firm, and collectable.
- Condition: Collectable- Very Good
- Dustcover: No
- Binding: Hardback
- Type: Used Books
Mary Ward Books is an independent online bookstore specialising
in second hand, out of print books and used books such as Letters from Cambridge 1939 - 1944 by A.S.F. Gow. We offer a book search facility and
secure payments via PayPal and Nochex.
We aim to be of service, please click here to read our testimonials from past customers - and please feel free to leave your own feedback!
Mary Ward Books is based in East Anglia, United Kingdom. We were established in 1997 and have been selling books online since 2002. We ship worldwide, please click here to see our shipping charges for Letters from Cambridge 1939 - 1944 by A.S.F. Gow.
We have many other books in our History- Social & Commercial. section for sale of which below is a selection - Please feel free to browse them or press the 'continue shopping' button below to see the entire History- Social & Commercial. category.