- Book Title: The Burning Blue: A New History of the Battle of Britain
- Author: Addison, Paul Addison, Paul
- ISBN: 712664750
- Publisher: Pimlico
- Year Published: May 2, 2000
- Our Normal Price: £9.90 GBP ($0.00 USD)
- 10% Discounted Price: £8.91 GBP ($0.00 USD)
- Description: Amazon.co.uk Review: To commemorate the 60th anniversary of arguably the most important air battle in history, two academics from the University of Edinburgh have assembled this multi-faceted collection of essays on the Battle of Britain, offering a variety of new perspectives. Some of these are intriguing: for instance, Owen Dudley Edwards piece on The Battle of Britain and Childrens Literature and, taking a similarly cultural rather than military approach, Tony Aldgates The Battle of Britain on Film--although he is rather unfair on that superlative bit of celluloid stiff-upper-lippery, Reach for the Skies. Other essays seem pretty pointless: an essay on The American Perspective-unless, of course, the Battle was won by the Americans after all. The gems here, however, are Wallace Cunninghams Memories of a British Veteran and Nigel Roses An RAF Pilots Letters to His Parents, June-December 1940, full of schoolboy jollity and have-at-em spirit: Id no sooner arrived back when a crowd of Junkers 87s dive-bombed Tangmere and just about razed the hangars to the ground. We had a magnificent view of the whole affair and it was most thrilling to watch. So, although this is no match for the sheer narrative thrill of Len Deightons Fighter or Deighton and Max HastingsBattle of Britain, there is still some good stuff here and provocative new ways of looking at a national legend. --Christopher Hart : : Synopsis: Published in time for the 60th anniversary of the Battle of Britain, this history broadens and deepens our understanding of an event that passed instantly into legend.Comments: pristine - as new- immediate availability. Format: Paperback. Pages: 292.
- Condition: New
- Dustcover: See Above
- Binding: See Above
- Type: Used Books
Mary Ward Books is an independent online bookstore specialising
in second hand, out of print books and used books such as The Burning Blue: A New History of the Battle of Britain by Addison, Paul Addison, Paul. We offer a book search facility and
secure payments via PayPal and Nochex.
We aim to be of service, please click here to read our testimonials from past customers - and please feel free to leave your own feedback!
Mary Ward Books is based in East Anglia, United Kingdom. We were established in 1997 and have been selling books online since 2002. We ship worldwide, please click here to see our shipping charges for The Burning Blue: A New History of the Battle of Britain by Addison, Paul Addison, Paul.
We have many other books in our section for sale of which below is a selection - Please feel free to browse them or press the 'continue shopping' button below to see the entire category.