- Book Title: The Lost Rivers of London
- Author: Nicolas Barton
- ISBN: mw00123621
- Publisher: Phoenix House
- Year Published: 1965
- Our Normal Price: £22.00 GBP ($0.00 USD)
- 10% Discounted Price: £19.80 GBP ($0.00 USD)
- Description: Phoenix House 1965: fourth impression of the first 1962 publication: hardcover in dust jacket: approximately 5.5 x 9 inches tall: 148 pages including index, 29 halftone plates, seven maps within the text, folding map, and many line drawings.Synopsis:A detailed historical and geographical survey of London's system of underground rivers. The author, Nicolas Barton, discusses the influence of the rivers on the creation of the city, and its military, domestic, commercial and recreational development. A Street map showing the river courses is included. Contents: list of illustration, with sources. Introduction. The London Basin. 1) The Walbrook.2)The Fleet. 3) The Tyburn. 4) The rivers of the West: The Westbourne. Counter's Creek. Stamford Brook. 5) The Rivers of the South: The Falcon Brook. The River Effra . The Earl's Sluice. The Neckinger . Rotherhithe Mill- streams.6)The Rivers of the East. A Watercourse at Wapping. The Black Ditch. Hackney Brook. 7) Dubious Lost Rivers. The "Langborne". Shoreditch. The "Cranbourn". Parr's Ditch. The Ditch at Nine Elms. 8) The Development of London.9)The Uses of the Lost Rivers: military, water -supply, shipping, power, industry, agriculture and fisheries, recreation.10) Disasters, Diseases and Drains: The rivers in London; The rivers under London; The rivers around London; The rivers today.11) Conclusion. Appendices: maps, books and articles. Condition : edges of dustjacket slightly rubbed: faint foxing to page edging: overall very clean and good
- Condition: Collectable- Very Good
- Dustcover: Yes
- Binding: Hardback
- Type: Used Books
Mary Ward Books is an independent online bookstore specialising
in second hand, out of print books and used books such as The Lost Rivers of London by Nicolas Barton. We offer a book search facility and
secure payments via PayPal and Nochex.
We aim to be of service, please click here to read our testimonials from past customers - and please feel free to leave your own feedback!
Mary Ward Books is based in East Anglia, United Kingdom. We were established in 1997 and have been selling books online since 2002. We ship worldwide, please click here to see our shipping charges for The Lost Rivers of London by Nicolas Barton.
We have many other books in our The World - Its Countries, and Divisions section for sale of which below is a selection - Please feel free to browse them or press the 'continue shopping' button below to see the entire The World - Its Countries, and Divisions category.